Dungeons of the Amber Griffin - Preview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer checked out Dungeons of the Amber Griffin:

This gorgeous grid-based dungeon crawler is based on real folklore

Back when Durante declared the CRPG renaissance underway, he mentioned Might & Magic X: Legacy and Legend of Grimrock, two grid-based dungeon crawlers. While there have been a handful of games following in their footsteps, like Operencia: The Stolen Sun and StarCrawlers, the vast majority of CRPGs since have been pseudo-isometric instead. They've looked down on their miniaturized heroes from a distancing height rather than getting up close to their portraits. It's been a renaissance with plenty of Bruegels, but few Botticellis.

Dungeons of the Amber Griffin aims to fix that. It's a blobber, which is to say a game where you see things from the perspective of your whole party of adventurers--melee fighters up front, wizards and archers safely hidden at the back--who all stand on the same square and move together in a single blob. They're also known as gridders, or DRPGs (the D stands for Dungeon). They deserve a second chance whatever you call them.

"For me it's just Dungeon Crawlers," says Tomasz Rożyński, who credits himself as the "CEO, game design, 2d/3d graphics, animations, level design, marketing, social media, VJ artist" of Frozengem Studio and is basically a solo developer.

[...]
Thanks Henriquejr!

More information.

Not sure about unlockables from different game modes, but this surely looks nice.
I seem to have previously thought this had a roguelike/randomized game world - I don't see anything about that mentioned anymore, though. Was I mistaken?

Anyway, I'm surprised more roguelikes haven't gone the Dungeon Master way - displaying their grid-based worlds from a first person view. I remember Dungeon Hack way back, but besides? There used to be a DF adventure mode mod that tried to add that (Armok Vision), but I think that was aborted way before completion.
Anyone remember any others?

Back
Top Bottom