Fallout 3 - A New Generation

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
In 2008 Fallout 3 was released by Bethesda:

Fallout Retrospective - A New Generation

The team shares their story of showing Fallout 3 to Fallout creator Tim Cain. See how the torch was passed as Bethesda Game Studios takes command of one of gaming's most beloved franchises.
More information.

Epic Games will be giving the game away on October 20th. I'm sure most have played the game, but if you haven't it's free. It's the Game of the Year version with all DLC.

Last edited:
The writing was terrible, but it was still fun to explore the Capital Wasteland once you had the right mods installed.

I'm an incurable tunnel rat. I love to go stealth assassin and pick off Ghouls in all the dank, dark subway tunnels and caves.

I consider Fallout 3 to be a successful work of art because it created an emotional response while I was playing it. Unfortunately, that emotion was depression. Ah well. Still I enjoyed it enough to replay a couple of times.

It's a good game but a medicore Fallout. It certainly took some liberties with the lore but nothing like what 4 and 76 have done.

I also enjoyed the exploration and (green) atmosphere in Fallout 3. I also think it was a game changer for the franchise as it introduced systems that were the foundation of all that Fallout that came after.

Also one great acheivement of Fallout 3 is that it did not have the tellytubbies faces of Oblivion!

I also enjoyed the exploration and (green) atmosphere in Fallout 3. I also think it was a game changer for the franchise as it introduced systems that were the foundation of all that Fallout that came after.

Also one great acheivement of Fallout 3 is that it did not have the tellytubbies faces of Oblivion!
I don't think anyone misses those bubbly man-faces from Oblivion. :ROFLMAO:

Hmm I believe a mod does fix that issue though? Cant remember.

Anyway this was enlightening.
"I can remember this," Howard says in the video. "Coming back to my desk, and Todd Vaughn, our VP of development here at Bethesda, had left a yellow sticky note on my keyboard, and it said 'Fallout's yours.' That's all it said. I'll never forget that."

Howard's reaction wasn't quite as restrained. "I think I screamed and ran around the studio," he says. "Because everyone at the team had heard this might be a possibility."

Fallout 3 was first shown at E3 in Santa Monica in 2008. Pete Hines, senior VP of global marketing and communications, says it was important to Howard that Tim Cain, producer of the original Fallout, approved of the new direction Bethesda was taking with Fallout 3.

It's a good game but a medicore Fallout. It certainly took some liberties with the lore but nothing like what 4 and 76 have done.
I don't recall FO 4 being worse in that aspect. Given that they were only two games prior to FO3, it's not like there was that much established lore to begin with.

In general, I thought FO 4 was an improvement over 3 in most ways. The only thing that was definitely worse was the dialogue system.

Yep the dialogue was the worst part of Fallout 3. Obsidian improved it in New Vegas, but Bethesda ruined it more in Fallout 4. I sometimes wonder who makes these decisions.

I'm referring to the system not the dialogue itself. FO 4 used that system where your responses were limited to a maximum of four choices and they mostly use the same template for each conversation. i.e. Yes, no, sarcasm, persuasion.

The dialogue itself was pretty bad too of course. Maybe not as bad as in FO 3 though.

I know and it look to be slightly improved but vastly different in Starfield as well. As they removed stats and will use perks to influence how you talk to various NPC's.

Anyway Fallout 3 was a test and prototype for Bethesda. They did succeed at least.

I love this game simply because most of it takes place in an area of the country that I lived in for over fifteen years, and the attention to detail is spectacular. Going through some of the subways, seeing how the streets in certain areas are layed out, the exploration of this game is superb and yes, the writing is poor, yet I can overlook that simply because of the other parts that soar. I might have to schedule yet another replay shortly.

I don't recall FO 4 being worse in that aspect. Given that they were only two games prior to FO3, it's not like there was that much established lore to begin with.

In general, I thought FO 4 was an improvement over 3 in most ways. The only thing that was definitely worse was the dialogue system.
Synths were the biggest lore breaker but there were lots of others like the Power Armour system and the fact that there isn't even supposed to be Super Mutants in Boston (at least not in great numbers)! There also wasn't just two games... and those first two games you refer to had a rather large amount of lore/history to draw on - more than most.

Synths are from Wasteland 1-3. They had never appeared in any fallout games till Fallout 4 and suddendly they are a major force and everyone is afraid of them/don't know if their friend is a human or a synth.

I enjoyed aspects of Fallout 4, especially the overland map, but I really hated certain parts of it ie. the main story, the crafting system, the settlement building and the ridiculous start where you are wearing Power Armour and shooting a minigun in the first two hours.

Last edited:
Synths were the biggest lore breaker but there were lots of others like the Power Armour system and the fact that there isn't even supposed to be Super Mutants in Boston (at least not in great numbers)! There also wasn't just two games... and those first two games you refer to had a rather large amount of lore/history to draw on - more than most.
You understand that lore is continuously added as sequels are released, right? Or was Bethesda supposed to be confined to only what was written or alluded to in FO 1 & 2 and not be allowed to build on it?

Synths are from Wasteland 1-3. They had never appeared in any fallout games till Fallout 4 and suddendly they are a major force and everyone is afraid of them/don't know if their friend is a human or a synth.
I wasn't aware that the term "synths" was supposed to be unique to the Wasteland games. Also, it's not true that they weren't in any previous Fallout games. There was at least one in FO 3, and others were referenced.

I wasn't aware that the term "synths" was supposed to be unique to the Wasteland games. Also, it's not true that they weren't in any previous Fallout games. There was at least one in FO 3, and others were referenced.
Interesting. I never knew that and I guess that does make it a bit better. I still don't think it was particulary well done though i.e. the whole main story and the synth thing. I know Synths feature in other IP's but I still think it is dodgy given that they are the one of the main villians in Wasteland, an IP that Fallout spawned from - it shows me a lack of creativity.

Yep there is a whole quest-line in Fallout 3 with a synth and the institute. Even one of the major NPCs was part of the institute in the past, and later rejoined after Fallout 3.

You could say it was a hint to where Fallout 4 would take place.

Interesting. I never knew that and I guess that does make it a bit better. I still don't think it was particulary well done though i.e. the whole main story and the synth thing. I know Synths feature in other IP's but I still think it is dodgy given that they are the one of the main villians in Wasteland, an IP that Fallout spawned from - it shows me a lack of creativity.
I don't think Synths were ever mentioned by name in the original Wasteland, and FO3 predates Wasteland 2.

Even if they were, I don't see it as a big deal. It might have been an attempt at an homage of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom