RPG General News - The History and Legacy of the Infinity Engine

Whenever I see these games I get a warm, fuzzy feeling and memories surface.
I consider this my PC games home (together with Doom, Dune II and Dungeon Master). These games rooted me firmly in CRPGs.

I am also very happy we got a renaissance of isometric RPGs in recent years. I am replaying WotR right now and it almost generates that same feeling I had years ago.

Last edited:
I have a lot of fond memories of the IE games. They weren't my first crpgs, but they were my introduction to D&D as I never really played the PnP version. BG 1 & 2 are still among my favorite RPGs.

Infinity Engine games (particularly BG2) are the reason I got into cRPG :)

I don't think it's the Infinity engine that has a legacy but the isometric CRPGs (and probably the games BioWare made back then). Actually I've started playing isometric RPGS made with the Aurora and Electron engines (NWN games), and only played Infinity games much later, after isometric games were made popular again with PoE, DOS, Pathfinder and so on.

An engine is only a support for developers to make the graphics and the UI. Not sure why the IE shouldn't cope with D&D 3E except by dropping parts of the ruleset, by the way. I suspect it's more a problem of how badly the code was written and hard to modify; BioWare admitted as much themselves.

Back
Top Bottom