Two Worlds II - Retrospective Review @ C4G

I purchased the collector's edition back when it was released but never got around to playing this one for whatever reason.

Two Worlds 2 is a game you will either love or hate. The developer tried to cash in on the Elder Scrolls fame but fell flat each time due to a low budget, and a bad game engine.

Nowadays after the developer went bankrupt and half of the studio joined CPDR the quality of their recent games and Dlc is pure crap at best. It's a damn shame it is.

You cant buy the DLC anymore on Steam either it was de-listed.

Don't think we will ever see a Two Worlds 3 as was hinted a few years back either.

I actually neither loved nor hated it. There were elements in the game that were brilliantly done (I loved the lockpicking system for example) and others that were just horrendous (The respawns for example). The game was visually impressive for its time and the quests were all over the place in terms of quality. The game was probably too big and ambitious for its own good.

I finished this at release and remember it could become boring really quick since it didnt had level scaling; you caould easily overlevel and 1hitkill everyone after a time. There was a mod to fix this but got lost i think.

I didn't love or hate it either. I never felt it was great and I was never very compelled by the mechanics or anything going on, but found it reasonably fun and interesting enough to keep going for a couple dozen hours.

Love how two posters took my words out of my own mouth.:biggrin:

Should I have added a neutral feeling as well?

How about this you will either love it, hate it, or have neutral feelings.

Last edited:
I finished this at release and remember it could become boring really quick since it didnt had level scaling; you caould easily overlevel and 1hitkill everyone after a time. There was a mod to fix this but got lost i think.
It sounds like they didn't learn any lessons from the first game. A lack of challenge was an issue in Two Worlds 1 as well. It started off hard enough but quickly became a cakewalk.

My memory is hazy on details but I know I liked the first Two Worlds but I completely bounced off the second one; did not like it. Why? Well, I'll probably remember that when I remember where the hell I put my car keys.

Love how two posters took my words out of my own mouth.:biggrin:

Should I have added a neutral feeling as well?

How about this you will either love it, hate it, or have neutral feelings.
Well, I didn't like it, but I didn't actually hate it. :D

I simply couldn't stand the character/NPC movement of the neck as if they actually had no spine at all. It looked so awful to me that I just couldn't play that anymore. Apart from the world being a little bit too much fightuing-heavy for me. I developed that at that time. Now I hate games with too much fighting.

I like both Two Worlds 1 and 2. In TW2 I found the horse riding better implemented than in other games at the time (e.g. Oblivion or even The Witcher 3). In those other games the controls for riding were always clunky and in races you could always lose you way when the horse didn't react fluidly enough in a curve. Therefore I avoid horse riding in most games but in TW2 it was fun. The only other game coming to my mind, where horse riding is similarly fluent, would be Elden Ring.

I would categorize TW 1 and 2 as solid and fun, but not "must play" games. But if you feel the need for a Gothic-like action-RPG and haven't played Two Worlds 1 or 2 yet, you might want to try them. For me they are better then something like Oblivion in any case.

Well you know the writing was bad according to this joke in the sequel. :biggrin:

• Haha
Reactions: Dez
I think its worth playing. When the Pirates Dlc came out there was a modder named Neil who linked both games together along with the 8 multiplayer maps and dungeons into one seamless game. It was fun and there was a lot of people running the multiplayer maps and you could always find a group.
Was the writing cringy? Yes. Same as a lot of games. I really likes the humor.
I think the creator of this video is being extremely honest about Two Worlds Two. It could have been so much better, they needed more time, better translations, more quests involving guilds.
I think they did good with the resources they had. The DRM involving activations was absolutely stupid though. Plus an online store? What?

Back
Top Bottom