Chained Echoes - Interview @ RP Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RP Gamer interviewed Matthias Linda about his upcoming J-RPG Chained Echoes:

Chained Echoes Interview

Chained Echoes is an upcoming JRPG-inspired game developer by Matthias Linda and published by Deck13, described as a combination of a fantasy world with mechs, magic, and airships. It is planned to be released in the 4th quarter of 2022 on PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch. RPGamer was able to talk to Matthias Linda about what awaits players in the game.

Johnathan Stringer (RPGamer): Can you give a quick overview of the game's setting and game mechanics as well as its inspirations? Who should be interested in Chained Echoes?

Matthias Linda: I would describe the setting as a mix of fantasy and steampunk. Mechs meet magic. In a world where birdmen and lizardmen are just a normal thing running around, it is a turn-based RPG where you fill up your party with up to 8 members and try to save the world. It is heavily inspired by games such as Suikoden 2, Terranigma, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy VI. And I'm not telling anyone to be interested in the game, but if you grew up with the mentioned games, I really hope you would enjoy my game as well.

JS: What new twists to the turn-based battle mechanic are in Chained Echoes that will set it apart?

ML: I hope to have created a system which will be enjoyed by fans of turn-based JRPGs. However, it indeed comes with a small twist called the Overdrive System. Every action by the player, and by the enemies, influences the bar. Some actions will raise it, others will lower it. In the normal stage, everything is normal. If you reach the Overdrive section of the bar, you do way more damage and take less. However, if the bar reaches the Overheat, it is the other way around. From the feedback I received through the Kickstarter backers and my publisher, I seem to have succeeded in creating a combat system which feels super tactical and yet fast-paced.

[...]
More information.

Back
Top Bottom