Rogue Trader - Alpha Gameplay Impressions

:unsure: Game isn't even sold on Steam at this point, only direct from Owlcat. If you buy alpha access though, you do get a Steam key.
Yeah, but at a minimum purchase of 100 bucks to get the alpha, I can see why he'd want to wait for a sale. (Not that he's going to get one)

I'll never stop being astounded that people want to pay double a game's store price to playtest it for the rest of us.
I did for WotR because 1. I wanted to help shaping the game & support them with additional funding 2. I was too impatient to experience the game

No regrets, I got my money's worth with WotR but its not something I will do often.

I got rogue trader key for free because I'm Owlcats discord staff (helping out with managing their discord) and they are giving away lots of free keys via events so its not like you always have to pay ^^

I watched all of Mortismal videos, the game looks very promising. (mortismal is good at previews/and info of this type of game, although not a fan of some of his other game vids)

I will definitely be buying this. I am liking everything I am seeing - tactical turn based group combat - beautiful isometric graphics - interesting story - cool sci fi setting -- all look good except for the space combat - the space combat system looks very weak. Hopefully they will tweak it and fix it.

That said, why - oh why - can't we have more male companions? Please? lol. At my count, of the ones known (yes, I know all have yet to be unveiled) there are 2 more female companions available than male ones, at the moment. I think they had the same thing for Kingmaker, a ton of different female companions, but not so much choice when it came to male companions.

Don't get me wrong, I like having female companions in my rpg party, (I usually like to have at least two female companions, if not half the party, if its total number is 6) but I just would like to have an equal ratio to choose from. (maybe even enough to have an all male company on one particular playthrough? *gasp*)

Not too much to ask, I hope!

Hmm..your opinion borders on heresy my brother. Cross the line and the social media mobs shall declare a holy crusade. Just kidding probably due to the female power trope.

Just look at current TV shows and D&D you'll find the reasons why easily.:biggrin:

I watched all of Mortismal videos, the game looks very promising. (mortismal is good at previews/and info of this type of game, although not a fan of some of his other game vids)

I will definitely be buying this. I am liking everything I am seeing - tactical turn based group combat - beautiful isometric graphics - interesting story - cool sci fi setting -- all look good except for the space combat - the space combat system looks very weak. Hopefully they will tweak it and fix it.

That said, why - oh why - can't we have more male companions? Please? lol. At my count, of the ones known (yes, I know all have yet to be unveiled) there are 2 more female companions available than male ones, at the moment. I think they had the same thing for Kingmaker, a ton of different female companions, but not so much choice when it came to male companions.

Don't get me wrong, I like having female companions in my rpg party, (I usually like to have at least two female companions, if not half the party, if its total number is 6) but I just would like to have an equal ratio to choose from. (maybe even enough to have an all male company on one particular playthrough? *gasp*)

Not too much to ask, I hope!
I think your memory is failing you. There were 12 companions in Kingmaker - 6 male and 6 female.

1. Amiri
  2. Valerie
  3. Octavia
  4. Jaethal
  5. Linzi
  6. Kanerah

1. Jubilost
  2. Regongar
  3. Ekundayo
  4. NokNok
  5. Harrim
  6. Tristian
EDIT: You even needed a DLC for it to be 6 females....

Yep it was equal in both Pathfinder games, but all companions should have been revealed for Rouge Trader according to insiders and testers. Don't know if that's true though.

Owlcat might be holding back a few or have them planned as free DLC. :unsure:

Ok, you are right - I was wrong then! Maybe I didn't get far enough to see all the male ones available in Kingmaker, (to my shame - I still need to go back and finish the game!) but I probably had that impression because a lot of the early companions seemed to be dominated by the female variety, and I know this is for sure the case with the sequel, at least regarding the early game in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.

While Arkadia's wasn't correct on female:male ratio on Kingmaker, I also hope there will be more male companions for Rogue Trader.

Right now, it's:
1. Abelard
2. Pasqal
3. Heinrix

1. Cassia
2. Argenta
3. Jae
4. Idira
5. Yrliet

I think its been confirmed that male space wolf(?) is a companion. I have no idea how many more companions will be revealed in future

Ok, you are right - I was wrong then! Maybe I didn't get far enough to see all the male ones available in Kingmaker, (to my shame - I still need to go back and finish the game!) but I probably had that impression because a lot of the early companions seemed to be dominated by the female variety, and I know this is for sure the case with the sequel, at least regarding the early game in Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous.
Yes, certainly in WOTR early game you start out with more female options, but later on the ratio becomes 6/6 again + a talking weapon (I think it has a male voice).

While Arkadia's wasn't correct on female:male ratio on Kingmaker, I also hope there will be more male companions for Rogue Trader.

Right now, it's:
1. Abelard
2. Pasqal
3. Heinrix

1. Cassia
2. Argenta
3. Jae
4. Idira
5. Yrliet

I think its been confirmed that male space wolf(?) is a companion. I have no idea how many more companions will be revealed in future
I can't imagine them not doing 6/6 again or at least close to having 50/50. It would create a firestorm which is probably why they've done that in the past.

I'd prefer the ability to create my own party rather than be stuck with cringy writing and tropes. I usually like party companions but only when done well.
The Alpha previews and impressions all agree the writing is better then the two last games. Still I'm sure the option to create your own party might be offered again.

I just don't know if it will fit the setting this time though. :unsure:

I'd prefer the ability to create my own party rather than be stuck with cringy writing and tropes. I usually like party companions but only when done well.
But Owlcat have been pretty good with the companions in the Pathfinder games, haven't they?

Back
Top Bottom