Marvel's Midnight Suns - Review

This was my comment on the video: "I have to politely disagree., Combat was good but it was the story, the characters, and the Abbey stuff I found to be the real attraction. This isn't my usual style of game but since I marvel comics and the idea of being one, with a lot of emphasis on the occult, I gave it a try. It rapidly took over all my other gaming and really enjoy it. Combat is just 1/3 of the overall equation for a great game. Not quite AAA, there is plenty of room for improvement, but overall a ton of fun - especially the non-combat stuff."

I almost did not get the game as I thought it would be all combat focused. Plus some reviews say the combat was what saved an otherwise mediocre game. Of course its all taste so not arguing it isn't mediocre for others. For me its been a blast. I have 41.3 hours played now and look forward to playing everynight when I am out of work. Even took an early day off last friday so I could play more.

This game looks so bad to me that I couldn't even get thru this review video. I'm gonna be ill.

No combat system is good enough to endure the "friendship simulator" nonsense (in this game - I'm a huge fan of Portia for ex - Portia isn't a fricking combat strategy game by a company that usually produces good strategy games)

I'm also not into superheroes despite being an alpha nerd - and just thinking about superheroes sitting on a couch being emo and sharing feelings is vomit inducing. Just why. People need to stop showing that clip on youtube. Ug!

That's not something I want in any strategy/tactics game, not what I want from Firaxis, and definitely not what I want from the "latest installment of XCOM"

Hopefully they Chimera this and put out a variation on the combat part of the game that doesn't have an "emo layer."

All of the story stuff could've been a different not game, visual novel, movie, book, youtube video - gameplay can only be in games - why water down a potentially great game.

Very sad.

Combat was good but it was the story, the characters, and the Abbey stuff I found to be the real attraction.

Thank you for the alternative perspective. I've watched a bunch of reviews and I think all of them say that the "friendship simulator" (discussions with teammates) comprises many hours of the game and that it's either horrendous or sub-par at best, with at least a few commenting that the writing of those scenes is terrible and juvenile. The main story of the game seems to be getting mixed reviews, with some liking it while others dislike it.

I like the idea of discussions between combat encounters, even long discussions, if it's interesting and/or helps develop the world, characters, and immersion. All of the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games have that, and I enjoy it. I don't know whether or not I will enjoy Marvel's Midnight Suns but I will probably get it at some point.

Early launch issues aside I find it's a good game. Just waiting for the abundant amount of DLC to get released to finish playing it. Still would have preferred they made XCom 3.

I would not say it is on par with DA/ME dialogue and interaction by any means. Don't go in expecting that. Course I also see many people who said Bioware games suck at dialogue and interactions for those same games as well. So mileage really varies.

I enjoy a lot of that stuff and I don't have high standards as all that matters to me is whether I am having fun with a game, and I am. It's corny and not too in-depth. Writing is okay but nothing great. I happen to like all the companions, enjoy the story, want to know what will happen, and so on.

Personally I find the game split up into three fairly equal parts - morning around the Abby, one mission you do during the say, night time around the abby,

The morning and night can be long or short depending on where you are in things, what is going on, how much talking you want to do, how much exploring, if you want to grind for added resources and crafting. Sometimes there is nothing much to do except maybe a hangout or upgrades (and there is always the once a day sparring you should do) and so you can go right to a mission in the morning or go right to bed when you get home. Othertimes there are events and things you need to follow-up on.

I like it a lot as it breaks up combat for me and I am fine with the friendship simulator :p I am one of those people who love having companions and relationships (friendship only or more .. thing this game is friendship only, certainly not seen any romance stuff at this point) and enjoy that mixed in with any RPG. I actually wish there was more of it - more depth, more activities, etc.

People who only want combat wouldn't like all the filler or having to do a lot of it. For me its fun, relaxing, and a big plus for the game.

That being said I know it is certainly not for everyone nor is the game quality on par with most AAA games.

I think the dialogue, as a whole, is absolutely on par with DA/ME dialogue. There are corny lines here and there, but there are also thousands (literally; it's a talkative game) of competent and clever lines. I have a few theories as to why the dialogue is so poorly received.

1 - the dialogue is being delivered by established characters beloved by nerds. People have an idea in their heads about how Iron Man or Dr. Strange or whomever should sound, and if it doesn't fit that, they think it's "bad". This theory also applies to any charges of poor voice acting in this game.

2 - people are generally uncomfortable hearing positive dialogue (about friendship, etc). It's difficult to write such dialogue that most people (men) won't hear as corny.

3 - tons of the dialogue isn't plot relevant and some people are just not going to like hearing conversations between Marvel heroes about their favorite hobbies or their trust in each other or a crush they have on another character. It's not that the dialogue about those things is bad, it's that some don't want to hear dialogue about that stuff at all.

I've long since learned to dismiss the general game playing public's opinion about what constitutes good or bad writing. I'm not saying the writing in this game is superlative... I think it would be incredibly difficult under the circumstances (you try writing banter in between every single mission for every single character, dozens and dozens of times).... but it is good.

Last edited:
Overall I'm having fun with the game. It's mostly minor gripes for me.

For example: Why can't I upgrade cards from the hero selection menu on missions. I have to exit mission selection to then go to the other side, click on the sword and then go through the menus before going back to mission selection. Since I don't play on a super-difficult level, I assume I don't get punished much for not upgrading all my cards, but this kind of menu fiddling is what annoys me. The rest of the game is quite fun.

snip

I've long since learned to dismiss the general game playing public's opinion about what constitutes good or bad writing. I'm not saying the writing in this game is superlative... I think it would be incredibly difficult under the circumstances (you try writing banter in between very single mission for every single character, dozens and dozens of times).... but it is good.
I am glad to see other perspectives. I sometimes doubt myself so tend to hedge what I say to be more neutral I guess. Even if I feel the dialogue is not on part with some AAA games I do totally enjoy it. When the tutorial started I rolled my eyes and was like this is too much. Now, however, I got really into it. Tony cracks me up with all his comments about the occult. I can see how it could annoy many but I have laughed a lot at some of his stuff. I like Carol a lot, Blade is my favorite, along with Magick. But then I like the "dark" folks like a Dhampir and Illyana's past. Except Nico - who I liked at first but am growing to dislike. I keep losing friendship with her now but not changing my answers. I am not playing to min/max but playing my Hunter as I feel I would if I were him in that world. To be honest I did want to max out the "light side" but some of the "good" choices just felt so wrong to me I had to settle for a balance for the most part.

Anyhow I love all that stuff - making choices in dialogue, some of the torture of staying in character (as I see him) vs. wanting to unlock certain stuff, trying to decide where I will go with the friendships.

I am not sure if it will have high replay value for me, like other games I have sunk into, because once you know all the outcomes less exciting and the combat isn't my focus. On the other hand I think I could get at least one more out of it after some DLC (I got the season pass) either to play the perfect good or bad Hunter vs. the balanced one.

Oh and why I quoted - that is me as well but for many things. I would say I don't pay attention to reviews but it was a review that got me to buy the game, although indirectly. The review was like "combat saved the game" but it was all the "bad" stuff that interested me. So I went reading steam reviews. Once I weeded out the clear "combat" folks, the "comic nerds", and the "wish this was X game", I found some more balanced reviews that indicated the game had a lot to offer for someone with my tastes.

EDIT: Also while combat is not my core focus I really enjoy the combat. Maybe it was growing up on comics. I love the over the top effects and abilities. I enjoy smiting the villains. To the point that I am actually taking real time to learn mechanics, select cards that not only work well together for my hero but work well with the other heroes. I am rather surprised how much I am enjoying the card strategy and combat in general. At first I mainly looked forward to the morning and night activities but now I also look forward to combat.

Overall I'm having fun with the game. It's mostly minor gripes for me.

For example: Why can't I upgrade cards from the hero selection menu on missions. I have to exit mission selection to then go to the other side, click on the sword and then go through the menus before going back to mission selection. Since I don't play on a super-difficult level, I assume I don't get punished much for not upgrading all my cards, but this kind of menu fiddling is what annoys me. The rest of the game is quite fun.
For sure. When I want to make sure I upgrade a card, I always head straight for the sword so I don't forget. People otherwise I absolutely will. It's a pain, and a needless one.

For sure. When I want to make sure I upgrade a card, I always head straight for the sword so I don't forget. People otherwise I absolutely will. It's a pain, and a needless one.
Just out of interest, what did you mean in your second sentence : "People otherwise I absolutely will". I'm sure you meant to say something, so I'm curious :D

Well, I'm glad to hear others are enjoying the non-combat parts of the game. Some of that looked pretty cringy to me in a couple reviews I watched but maybe they're not that bad—and I'm also not a big super hero nerd (so that part of the game is less appealing to me). Anyway, the opinions here make me more encouraged to get around to playing this at some point.

Back
Top Bottom