Alpha Protocol - Retrospective Review

I agree with him the game is an unpolished gem which was usual for past obsidian games.

It was ahead of it's time with some of the systems. Through it suffered from a small budget, amount of bugs, bad management , and some bad design decisions.

Might be time for a replay. :unsure:

I couldn't get into Alpha Protocol at all. To me, it's the worst of Obsidian's older titles except for maybe Dungeon Siege III. Considering how good their stuff was back then though, it's still probably better than a lot of RPGs from other developers.

Played this from start to finish with no issue. Then again I also finished Stalker 1.0 without a problem. It was enjoyable, bit of rough edges but if you just go with it it was pretty good. Don't need to retrospect it I'll just keep remembering it as that.

Dung Siege III, now that was making rent and light payment (all you need to make games).

When I played the game many years ago but a few years after release I thought it was great and wanted to immediately play protocol-2 only to learn it never would be. The game did have a few technical errors - some places it crashed to desktop and in others there were clipping problems that caused things to get stuck but overall great game. Pity it wasn't a market success.

I really liked this game, much more than I expected to, and was disappointed there was no sequel.
I could imagine a less buggy, less janky sequel with all the same freedom, but alas, it will never happen.

One thing I didn't like was the boss fights, which I didn't feel fitted with the overall feel of the rest of the game (which this video points out).

I didn't play this at launch, it was like three years later, and I had a great time with it. I'm not sure I'd ever replay the game yet the one trip through was pretty entertaining.

Alpha Protocol is the only game I ever quit because of the mini-games. I presume I wasn't having all that great of a time anyway, but the mini-games killed it dead.

I played this again a year or two ago and it was a lot of fun. When Deus Ex Human Revolution was released a year or two after, it seemed as though that was just a better version of Alpha Protocol in many ways, but AP was still fun.

Like many here I enjoyed it. It was really fun, if not great in its execution.

I would like to replay eventually, since it really captured being a secret agent with all the intrigue and not knowing who to trust.

I thought it was a great game (although I didn't have any major technical issues). I liked the timed opportunities to impact the conversation cut scenes and the reactivity of the game and it was a great setting. Possibly another factor is that I don't play any pure FPS games so was less troubled by the stats/skills based over-ride to whether your aimed shot actually hit or not (if anything it helped me once I had decent skills)

Back
Top Bottom