Super Lesbian Animal RPG - Big Hit

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer reports that the turn-based RPG Super Lesbian Animal RPG is getting popular:

Super Lesbian Animal RPG is a big hit with the target audience

Today in niche games, the recent release of Super Lesbian Animal RPG seems to have greatly pleased people who enjoy the idea of a game called Super Lesbian Animal RPG. It's a classic-inspired turn-based RPG about a crew of anthropomorphic animals who're variously in love with each other fighting weird monsters in a dungeon to save the world and/or overcome their own anxieties.

Fans call it SLARPG, and they like it a lot. A whole lot, apparently, as 98% of its 191 Steam user reviews are positive as of press time. Which is exceptionally good, to be honest, and I say this as someone who spends a significant amount of work time seeing how well-received recently released Steam games with a few hundred reviews are.

They're not just fluff reviews, either. Lots of them express heartfelt gratitude and enjoyment or admiration toward the game or its gameplay. "The title initially made me suspect that this might be an "ironic" game, so I was rather pleased to find that no, it's played completely straight (no pun intended)," said one(opens in new tab) review.

[...]

More information.

Watched the trailer and have to say that this looks more appealing than 99% of all RPGmaker games which just look super generic.
This game actually has some nice art and certainly it's own style.

Not on steam for sure, All-time peak:119
To be precise, the PC Gamer headline said it's a "big hit with the target audience", they made no comment on how big this target audience might be - in fact, they further defined the target audience in the article as "people who enjoy the idea of a game called Super Lesbian Animal RPG". :LOL::LOL: It's safe to say that what's likely going on here is that they saw a game with "lesbian" in the name, with great reviews, and thought it would be awesome to write an article about it to prove their wokeness.

On the other hand, more people are playing it than are playing Knights of the Chalice 2, my GOTY. :LOL:

Most RPGMaker titles are niche games and are not played by many people. This one looks unique, has turn-based combat, so I will check it out.

BTW: I have still one free key for Gjallahorn - a new game from one of the best RPGMaker devs - who wants to try it?

If you still have the key, HiddenX, I'd love to try it - Great Gaias has been on my wishlist for a while, and I just found out about Gjallahorn this Christmas.

I played it for a few hours - and it comes with some interesting ideas - like 80s computer style dungeons. The dialogue writing is mediocre/good; the story linear.
The combat is standard RPGMaker style with some nice variants.
The difficulty on normal is just fine.
All in all a good game for 12 bucks if you like RPGMaker games at all.

This right here folks of all twitter tags is what we call social agenda click-bait. Now having said that like said above it's not a hit, but at least it's better them most RPGMaker games.

Gotta say I hate the furry aesthetics, but yeah, seems decent overall.
Just not really sure how much of a "big hit". More like the writer loved it and found a way to talk about it, which is fine.

PC Gamer explains "Big Hit" in their second paragraph:
Fans call it SLARPG, and they like it a lot. A whole lot, apparently, as 98% of its 191 Steam user reviews are positive as of press time. Which is exceptionally good, to be honest, and I say this as someone who spends a significant amount of work time seeing how well-received recently released Steam games with a few hundred reviews are.
Meanwhile there are 197 positive reviews = 99%.

This is indeed quite rare for indie titles and I see no major clickbait here.
On the contrary I like that PC Gamer give niche/indie titles some space in their news coverage. Most of the time RPGWatch is the first who discovers niche games, this time PC Gamer was first :)

The game features gay relationships in a cute way. For example you can kiss your partner in a battle to get a temporary stat bonus. All characters are non-human.
So is it the lesbian animals that are super? Or is it the game itself that is super? The name doesn't clarify this context well.

Back
Top Bottom