Forspoken - Official Cinematic Trailer

I don't even dare play the video.
The promotional material so far has caused me physical pain from cringe overload.

Maybe I'll watch some proper gameplay footage once the game is actually out...

Decent trailer and from what I've seen previously, it looks like it could be a good game—not certain what is cringy about it?

Decent trailer and from what I've seen previously, it looks like it could be a good game—not certain what is cringy about it?
Read the plot outline. It sounds cringy as hell. Girl from New York gets transported to fantasy world and is trying to find her way home. (After she realizes she can't hail a cab there.) ;)

I played the demo. The gameplay was solid, the dialogue not so solid. I think the cringe factor comes from the personality of the protagonist as we've seen her so far. It's jarring for some to be playing a fantasy game and hear her yell "fuck" every 2 minutes.

For my part, I'm undecided. I'll probably try it simply because there's nothing else coming out in January that I have any interest in.

Read the plot outline. It sounds cringy as hell. Girl from New York gets transported to fantasy world and is trying to find her way home. (After she realizes she can't hail a cab there.) ;)
Hmmm... I sorta like the sound of that to be honest. Gives me Chronicles of Thomas Covenant vibes. But honestly, I can see how the lack of cabs in a fantasy setting would put some people off. :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm always put off by the 'person from the real world goes to Fantasy Land' trope (unless it's an Alice in Wonderland kind of trip). To me that's just crossing the streams. Never cross the streams.

The only way that trope works is if the character basically has no character at all i.e. The Avatar from Ultima. If done right it can be quite immersive for the player.

It reminds me of that Martin Lawerence movie "Black Knight". Put someone from the hood in Medieval times, what could go wrong?

Hmm..well a self insert or a Isekai game would be interesting. I played a NWN mod series with that premise and it worked. Problem is no major AAA game has gone that route.
What is Isekai? Isekai is a subgenre of fantasy in which a character is suddenly transported from their world into a new or unfamiliar one.
Well there was Grotesque: Heroes Hunted but that was cancelled.:unsure:

The gameplay was solid, the dialogue not so solid. I think the cringe factor comes from the personality of the protagonist as we've seen her so far. It's jarring for some to be playing a fantasy game and hear her yell "fuck" every 2 minutes.

They showed full dialogue with a smith here which wasnt really bad. Its from early part of the game when your heroine should be surprised what the hell is going on around... but generally its all unconvincing including main heroine, as you said.
And I doubt they was able to make gameworld less empty and more interesting to explore - which was probably main reason for the delay. It seems they put more loot chests there but other than that....

Back
Top Bottom