Octopath Traveler II - Final Trailer

I enjoyed the first one of these, but feel strangely retiscent on this sequel. The first had some unfortunate pacing issues (the difficulty of the 8 starter stories was the same, to allow you to pick any one of them to begin, but you still played all of them, but with steadily larger party, and more power) - rinse/repeat for each tier of plot missions.
The game ultimately came together for a finale/epilogue once all the main character stories were complete, but this felt like too little, too late, with a stupid hard final boss with no nearby save point.

The characters in the sequel seem like more of the same, class-wise, and whilst their stories might be new, I don't see much evidence that these flaws of the first game have been addressed. It feels like a case of "here's some more, similar, character stories" rather than a full-on sequel. I will be interested to read reviews, but wonder if reviews will answer my questions. I enjoyed my time with the first game, but don't really fancy just replaying the same style/character classes/structure with just a new set of names and places.

I keep waiting for the first to drop to a reasonable price, one day it shall happen, and then it will be mine. It does look like something I'd enjoy, and I suspect the sequel as well.

I know it is contraversial, but maybe get a short gamepass subscription to play it and see how you go?

I enjoyed the first one of these, but feel strangely retiscent on this sequel. The first had some unfortunate pacing issues (the difficulty of the 8 starter stories was the same, to allow you to pick any one of them to begin, but you still played all of them, but with steadily larger party, and more power) - rinse/repeat for each tier of plot missions.
The game ultimately came together for a finale/epilogue once all the main character stories were complete, but this felt like too little, too late, with a stupid hard final boss with no nearby save point.

The characters in the sequel seem like more of the same, class-wise, and whilst their stories might be new, I don't see much evidence that these flaws of the first game have been addressed. It feels like a case of "here's some more, similar, character stories" rather than a full-on sequel. I will be interested to read reviews, but wonder if reviews will answer my questions. I enjoyed my time with the first game, but don't really fancy just replaying the same style/character classes/structure with just a new set of names and places.
Rock, Paper, Shogun would say your concerns are warranted. From their review:

"You know that famous saying about those who forget the past are forever doomed to make the same mistakes? That's Octopath Traveler 2 in a nutshell, a JRPG that follows so precisely in the footsteps of its predecessor that you'd be forgiven for thinking it was suddenly 2019 again and that the last few pandemic years were nothing but a terrible existential nightmare. But alas, here we are in 2023 with another Octopath Traveler game that is, bar a couple of very light tweaks and additions, exactly the same game as what came before it, for better and for worse.

Back
Top Bottom