SpellForce: Conquest of Eo - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
G-Lyfe reviewed the strategy RPG SpellForce: Conquest of Eo:

SPELLFORCE: CONQUEST OF EO REVIEW - PC

Spellforce has over a 20-year history of games ahead of this latest iteration Conquest of EO. Developed by Owned by Gravity and published by THQ Nordic SpellForce: Conquest of Eo takes you on a path to become the most powerful mage in the world of EO. A special blend of tactical battles which lead your armies into ever-changing turn-based strategy RPG style combat. SpellForce: Conquest of EO combines unique elements from 4x strategy titles, RPGs, and turn-based tactical combat games alongside a plethora of procedurally generated adventures priced at $29.99.

[...]

I really enjoyed this genre mash between a turn-based RPG and 4X. The pace of the game offers constant action to keep you on your toes. 3 different base playstyles and a custom mode in combination with 5 difficulties allow you to play the game how you want to play it. The combat system is too much fun to not want to buy this game at the friendly price of $29.99. I am going to keep this installed and play through a few different modes for sure!

Score: 8/10
More information.

It is a great game. I can't wait to sink more hours into it ... but the backlog prevents me so far :(

This game seems like it would be right up my alley. Happy to hear more about it if you get back to it before I, eventually, buy it.
Playing it at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it. A lot of good Master of Magic / Age of Wonders / HOMM vibes with its own unique twists. The crafting element actually enjoyable and fairly fundamental to the gameplay as well, hopefully will make a playthrough with a different crafting base fun too.

Hadn't realised the adventures were procedurally generated! That explains why there's loads of them but quality seems fine, hopefully will add to replayability.

I'd disagree with the comment about needing to put units on crafting nodes . . . actually adds to the gameplay, the juicy nodes are in dangerous areas or defended so you can get ahead of yourself with a bit of sneaky positioning. You can also hire workers who are pretty good at getting the terrain movement upgrades and harvesting upgrades so I mostly have a few of them sneaking around to gather stuff (you don't station them permanently, it takes 1-4 turns depending on how many units there are to harvest), and as an artificier at least you can set up to be able to give all your units mining ability so active armies generally just pick up resources as they clear out an area

They're also a bit wrong on the passive generation of crafting materials, there are tower upgrades that produce weekly volumes, although the pressure is there to keep exploring and gathering (but nowhere near running out of resource to harvest and you also get plenty from fights & loot). Also can buy stuff from independent cities or world map shops for crafting

Nice to hear good things about this game. Feels like this will be my thing too. Sad that it only works on Windows as I will not have a working Windows machine any time soon. Is it possible to play through GeForce NOW?

Nice to hear good things about this game. Feels like this will be my thing too. Sad that it only works on Windows as I will not have a working Windows machine any time soon. Is it possible to play through GeForce NOW?
According to one review on GOG it seems like it is not possible for now.

I'm really enjoying CoE. I'm getting toward the end of playing as an artificer and it definitely has that one-more-turn gameplay. The late gameplay doesn't get boring and the crafting of runes is excellent. Leveling of units and heroes is done well.

My only complaint is I wish there were more units and they made armies hold more units. Artifacts and items are a bit boring also.

I'm definitely going to try the game as an alchemist and ramp the difficulty up another level. I would give the game a solid 8/10 and hope they keep adding features through patching and maybe a DLC.

I'm also enjoying it.
the crafting of runes is excellent. Leveling of units and heroes is done well.
However I don't like these aspects.

I don't like crafting in games in general and this one is not exception. Also the guessing of the recipes is pointless. I'm quite sure that almost everyone looks them up anyway. Then there are QoL features missing. When I want to craft a rune again, I want to click on it and I want to be shown the combinations of my available ingredients to complete the recipe.

I don't like the level-up lottery where the selectable feats seem to be randomized. I would prefer to be able to plan a character build.

Also I'm unsure about the possibility to move the tower. Sure, it's innovative and kind of cool, but somehow I'd rather have an actual home base.

I agree with clicking on the recipes once they are learned to automatically make the rune or potion. Learning new recipes is just color-coded and kinda fun once I figured that out.

I'm also fine with the lottery at level up because you can customize heroes and units with items and runes.

I wasn't sure if I would enjoy moving the tower but it has grown on me to go into more dangerous areas.

I'm also fine with the lottery at level up because you can customize heroes and units with items and runes.
I'm fine with the additional customization options but especially for the apprentices getting a spell or not can be a complete game changer with totally new options in combat. I'd really like to have more control over that.

Back
Top Bottom