Atomic Heart - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Tom's Guide checked out the Shooter-RPG Atomic Heart:

Atomic Heart review

Atomic Heart is an ambitious shooter that starts to feel samey beneath its retro-futuristic veneer

Atomic Heart has seemed like a pipe dream ever since its 2018 reveal. In a world of homogenous big-budget free-to-play multiplayer titles, Atomic Heart was a breath of fresh air: a single-player adventure set in an eclectic, alternate-history Soviet Union.

[...]

Atomic Hearts review: Verdict
Atomic Heart stands out from its peers. The world design is fantastic and packed with plenty of lore. Other aspects of the game are decidedly average, though. It's a 30-40 hour semi-open-world title that would have made more sense as a 20-25 hour linear game. The narrative is all over the place in tone, and I'm still unsure how I was supposed to feel about certain parts of it. The alternate-history Soviet Union setting is underutilized, too. Aside from the aesthetic and surface-level criticism, you could have set it anywhere.

Despite the game's flaws, I was entertained. When you catch Atomic Heart at its best, it's excellent, and it's easy to overlook many of its flaws. It's a great first effort from Mundfish, and I'm curious to see what the developer's sophomore title will bring.

Score: 3.5/5
More information.

Still looking forward to this, but I didn't buy it at release, and I'm going to wait for now. There are no doubt going to be some significant patches including the ray tracing options which aren't implemented yet.

Back
Top Bottom