HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Niche Gamer reviewed Hogwarts Legacy:

Hogwarts Legacy Review

[...]

Before diving into Hogwarts Legacy, many Harry Potter fans were concerned but intrigued by the idea of playing as a wizard or witch in the Harry Potter Universe without any known characters present. With that in mind, could the magical universe stand on its own with the foundation that its creator put in place? With that question in mind, we dove into our Hogwarts Legacy review.

[...]

At the end of the day, we have loved our time with Hogwarts Legacy and would be willing to play through the game again multiple times to experience what each house has to offer.

Hogwarts Legacy is a great way for those who have never watched a Harry Potter movie or read the books to experience the universe. Fans of the franchise will be able to express themselves and live out their own magical fantasy. We definitely recommend picking up this game if you like Harry Potter or love RPGs.

Score: 9.5/10
More information.

The more I play the lower my score has gotten :p As of now I give it a 7. If it drops any lower it means it wasn't good enough to finish. Not hating on the game though, its beautiful and has it's fun moments. I am just getting annoyed at some of the time sinks and grind. Potions especially annoy me. Sit and stare at the screen for 30 seconds to brew a single potion where most games something like this would be a single click and done or a very short animation. Not 30 seconds. Making 6 potions means sitting for 3 minutes just doing nothing but clicking a few times every 30 seconds. You can't even queue them up. Every game has them but they are not as well disguised (for me, speaking personally here) and entertaining in this game as in others I have played. I also miss having true companions, a sense of depth behind the game play, and some basic interactions I have come to see as normal for games like this. That being said I can see why many would rate this game high, especially fans.

I won't buy that game, mainly because I'm not that much into the Potter story (I think the world is good, but I'm personally not very much interested in it). For many Potter fans I think the most important thing is being in the world, so they'll likely forgive at least some faults. Unless there are significant deviations from Potter lore. I'm pretty sure my two daughters will get it.

BTW. I am very much into Middle Earth. So I have a great time being there whenever I play LOTRO.

pibbuR who is too tall to be a hobbit or a dwarf (except the one named Carrot).

PS. Another reason for not buying the game is my backlog which now is so huge that I won't live long enough to play even those I would very much want to play (damn those sales!!!) So buying games now doesn't make much sense. I will however get Starfield. DS.

I will admire you forever if that Carrot is the one from Discworld ...
OF COURSE HE IS.

pibbuR who just now is rereading the first novel, planning to get through all of them (including the few he hasn't read) in sequence.

PPS. Fort my favourite Discworld books, see the currently reading thread. DS.

Last edited:
I won't buy that game, mainly because I'm not that much into the Potter story (I think the world is good, but I'm personally not very much interested in it). For many Potter fans I think the most important thing is being in the world, so they'll likely forgive at least some faults. Unless there are significant deviations from Potter lore. I'm pretty sure my two daughters will get it.

BTW. I am very much into Middle Earth. So I have a great time being there whenever I play LOTRO.
Yep, I guess I would buy this game if it took place in Middle Earth or Aventuria.

My hubby bought this and playing it now. He still has less than 10 hours and he thinks its ok. I haven't pulled trigger yet. Waiting for him to unlock room of requirements (housing!!!)

From what I read tho, housing here will be very grindy too so I'm hesitant. My main gripe for ESO housing is how grindy it is, so I'm not too keen on starting another grindy housing game.

Maybe I will wait till this gets 70-80% discount. I'm def not in a hurry :)

Potions especially annoy me. Sit and stare at the screen for 30 seconds to brew a single potion where most games something like this would be a single click and done or a very short animation. Not 30 seconds. Making 6 potions means sitting for 3 minutes just doing nothing but clicking a few times every 30 seconds. You can't even queue them up.
First of all, I agree that the waiting time is annoying and should be done away with.
It's a silly thing that belongs more in an idle game than a game like Hogwarts.

However... you do know that you can build multiple potion stations, right?
So instead having one producing at a time, you can have multiple ones. I have four tables producing at the same time.

First of all, I agree that the waiting time is annoying and should be done away with.
It's a silly thing that belongs more in an idle game than a game like Hogwarts.

However... you do know that you can build multiple potion stations, right?
So instead having one producing at a time, you can have multiple ones. I have four tables producing at the same time.

Aye, just as you can grow multiple things and care for multiple beasts cycling through them all. Way too much busy work for me though. It still feels very MMO like. Also I don't seem to ever have enough money, I had to work just to buy the single large plant stand for $1k (let alone the $3K one) to get the plant needed to finish a quest. Nor do I want to grind for money or ingredients or recipes (for potions or crafting tables). I don't enjoy that kind of game play, it's one reason I play so few MMO's these days and seldom do much crafting.

I find it tedious and monotonous with little illusion of fun wrapped around it. Some fetch style quests can be fun - it depends on how a game disguises the basics.

That is just me though and I realize others enjoy earning coin, building up resources, and creating a top notch production factory and home. I already decided to focus on the story and core side quests, and I only do potions/beasts/etc., if needed to for a quest.

PS - I also appreciate the tip, as that was a nice thought.

Thanks for your reviews @wolfgrimdark. Based on these, I appreciate my decision not to buy the game at release. Grind and MMO stuff are not for me...There will be a time when this game ends up on discount and there are no other games to play. I'll pick it up then. Still curious to try it.

Thanks for your reviews @wolfgrimdark. Based on these, I appreciate my decision not to buy the game at release. Grind and MMO stuff are not for me...There will be a time when this game ends up on discount and there are no other games to play. I'll pick it up then. Still curious to try it.

It isn't a terrible game by any means, I am having my fun with it, but it just didn't hit me with any excitement. Maybe my expectations had been too high after all the trailers. Gorgeous game and fun to explore and, if you like puzzles, lots of those. Not overly hard ones.

I think they wanted to balance how much violence there was to stay with the theme. There is dark stuff but many of the missions felt a mix of figuring out how to get from A to B using spells to manipulate things so you could get across stuff, climb stuff, etc., as in mini-puzzles all over. I was getting a little tired of them. Then puzzles to grow your inventory (gear) size., i.e. Merlins Trials. I feel a little overwhelmed by the puzzles.

it really depends on what people like for game play.

Anyhow I have said a lot in many threads and don't want to be a Debbie downer about it. I can only say for my personal game preference it didn't live up to hopes. I am pretty sure I will finish it though (wasn't before) - just will be playing in small chunks vs. pulling long nights with it.

Keep in mind I loved Midnight Suns which could be repetitive, had a lot of useless running around for things, and so on. But I loved the theme (comics), my character Hunter, having the hell hound Charlie, and the magic. So having a game where you connect with the theme, atmosphere, and character can compensate greatly for failings you might otherwise be more annoyed with. I also liked the card combat in MS, much to my surprise as I expected to dislike it, so another plus.

Combat in Hogwarts is cool enough but some of the bosses felt like the typical sponge big bad boss types and a bit twitchy in combat. I play on easy and even put it on story for the bosses as I couldn't be botherred :p Mainly playing for the visuals and the story, which I do like a lot.

Sigh ... always rambling :p

I think Avalanche did a good job with Hogwarts. It's very pretty. Flying around is fun. The spellcasting is good and there are a lot of different spells. There's a mix of combat and puzzles and exploration. The writing is competent and the voice acting is good.

But I'm bored. There's no one, exact reason, but I'm just not very motivated. I play a mission or two every day or two and as soon as something comes out that compels my interest away from it, that will be that.

Back
Top Bottom