The Lamplighters League - Announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Lamplighters League has been announced:

The Lamplighters League - Official Announcement Trailer

Check out the announcement trailer for The Lamplighters League, an upcoming game featuring a mix of real-time infiltration, turn-based tactical combat, and a character-driven story of adventure and intrigue. Sneak, steal, and shoot your way through a world of pulp adventure.
The Lamplighters League is set in an alternate 1930s, where a tyrannical cult called the Banished Court stands on the cusp of world domination. For millennia, all that stood between this sinister cabal and their plans was a band of heroic scholars known as the Lamplighters League.
Unfortunately, the best of the best are all gone, so now it's up to the best of the worst.
More information.

I would have loved to see me some new BattleTech or Shadowrun, but I guess not having to depend on licensing also has its merits. I like the idea of the new game, but would have preferred it to be a bit more realistic/darker.
Seems like their other/next game will be something out of the World of Darkness. So I might get my wish of some gritty horror obscura.

Definitely not what I was expecting from Harebrained Studios, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.

I can roll with the alternate 1930s setting and the occult theme, but those characters are a big turn-off.

The couple of ingame sequences at the end looked okay I guess. Not super keen on the setting/art. Like Darkheart I would of liked to have seen some more Shadowrun/Battletech.

I've been in a Battletech mood recently (just bought Mechwarrior 5 last week), and was really hoping for Battletech 2. So I'm a bit disappointed. But this looks cool. I'm interested.

That time period could be hugely entertaining, if done correctly. Things like the supernatural, cabals, etc could pull me in, and of course Harebrained has done exceptional work in the past. For now I remain cautiously optimistic.

I don't love how the characters look but I look past them if the gameplay is good. I hope the real-time infiltration is better than the stealth elements they put in SR: Hong Kong matrix segments.

That time period could be hugely entertaining, if done correctly. Things like the supernatural, cabals, etc could pull me in, and of course Harebrained has done exceptional work in the past. For now I remain cautiously optimistic.
Did you play the game "The Council"? That is exactly what that is about and it was an okay game - although I really didn't like the gameplay mechanics. I ended up finishing it and I would give it a 6/10. If you are just in it for the story it might be your cup of tea though.

Last edited:
The Lamplighters League - Gameplay First Look

Join Harebrained Schemes in this first look at the Lamplighters League, an original pulp adventure set in an alternate 1930s that mixes real-time infiltration, turn-based tactical combat, and managing a growing team of misfits. The Lamplighters League will launch for PC and Xbox Series X and S consoles in 2023.

I would also have preferred another ShadowRun or BattleTech game. I had hopes they were working on Bloodlines 2 also as some staff was involved with it's development.

Moving on not a day one purchase but a game to keep an eye on.

It's too early for another BattleTech, IMHO. I guess they could go with clans or early days but, meh. If they went with the universe and made a 4X game around when humanity was first expanding into the Inner Sphere, that would be fun for me, but I'm not sure if it would be popular in general. Maybe a grand strategy game where the houses battle?

ShadowRun could have as many games as they like. There are always more adventures!

This one? Who knows. Could be awesome, could be a dud. It all depends on how well it's put together. It does look like we could get a lot more of the writing that served Harebrained so well in the ShadowRun games, which is a good thing.

Never played Battletech, but I enjoyed the Shadowrun games enough to finish all of them. I wouldn't mind seeing them return to that world but with a larger scope than the previous games.

Sadly this looks like a good concept and bad execution.

It's too early for another BattleTech, IMHO. I guess they could go with clans or early days but, meh. If they went with the universe and made a 4X game around when humanity was first expanding into the Inner Sphere, that would be fun for me, but I'm not sure if it would be popular in general. Maybe a grand strategy game where the houses battle?

ShadowRun could have as many games as they like. There are always more adventures!

This one? Who knows. Could be awesome, could be a dud. It all depends on how well it's put together. It does look like we could get a lot more of the writing that served Harebrained so well in the ShadowRun games, which is a good thing.
There is enough to tell in the BattleTech universe for several new games. You can also invent new stuff (like they did). The problem is more that the license for videogames is with MS. They go more into making games with all the studios they bought and needing fodder for their service. So they might not even want to license the franchise anymore. BT in general is also experiencing a hype at the moment. But even if there never is another turn-based tactical BT game, I will be happy to play RogueTech for another 20 years.

The problem is more that the license for videogames is with MS.
Where are you getting that from? Last I heard, and this was a LONG time ago, was that Microsoft had a non-exclusive license and that it had already expired. Geniunely interested though as I always get confused with Battletech (and Mechwarrior etc) - it's a very confusing IP for a non-tabletop player like me.

Where are you getting that from? Last I heard, and this was a LONG time ago, was that Microsoft had a non-exclusive license and that it had already expired. Geniunely interested though as I always get confused with Battletech (and Mechwarrior etc) - it's a very confusing IP for a non-tabletop player like me.
A quick google search gives this result.
The trademark is currently owned by Topps and, for videogames, Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios; Catalyst Game Studios licenses the franchise from Topps.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/8ayjx3/who_legally_owns_the_rights_to_battletech_and/
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechwarrior/comments/nq07wq/i_still_dont_understand_who_own_the_rights_to/

Last edited:
A quick google search gives this result.
How are you supposed to interpret that sentence? There is no such company as "Catalyst Game Studios" apart from an obscure company in Sri Lanka. The sole licensee as far as I am aware is Catalyst Game Labs - who do the books. Both Harebrained and Piranha games got the rights to use the license directly from CGL (including for the yet to be released Mechwarrior 6). CGL has nothing to do with Microsoft. What Microsoft does have is the rights to the old Mechwarrior and Mech Commander games they (and FASA Studios) developed many years ago - and that is it.

That Wikipedia page has no sources at all and I believe it is incorrect based on what both Jordan Weisman and from what the Battletech nerds say in the Mechwarrior Online forums.

Back
Top Bottom