The Outer Worlds - Spacer’s Choice Edition now available

I see you didn't link to Spacer's Choice Edition for obvious reason. :jester:

As expected it's being torn apart by conscious, discerning consumers. Where's the cookie monster emoji when you need it?

Part of me wonders if this is something that Obsidian would have released for free if they weren't under Microsoft's umbrella.

Both versions are getting reviewed bombed. Who didn't see this happening.:rolleyes:

These updated editions are always the brainchild of publishers. Devs just release patches. You make a hoopla of it, slap a new name, rebrand, as a sales tactic.

There's already "game of the century," at some point somebody will try "game of the millennium." Problem here is there's no upgrade to justify the price. For some it's a downgrade.

Part of me wonders if this is something that Obsidian would have released for free if they weren't under Microsoft's umbrella.
This one isn't Microsoft. It was organised by Private Division as the game was developed prior to the Microsoft acquisition. They hired a company called Virtuos Games, who are basically a people shop with tons of developers, who did the majority of the work on the remaster. Obsidian was involved though - I don't know how much.

These updated editions are always the brainchild of publishers. Devs just release patches. You make a hoopla of it, slap a new name, rebrand, as a sales tactic.

There's already "game of the century," at some point somebody will try "game of the millennium." Problem here is there's no upgrade to justify the price. For some it's a downgrade.
Yep MS wants their cut after getting the IP rights. Instead of offering a free upgrade it for past buyers you can only get a lower price instead. Basically corporate greed.

It's not even a good remaster and from comments the game stability is worse.

Last edited:
This one isn't Microsoft. It was organised by Private Division as the game was developed prior to the Microsoft acquisition. They hired a company called Virtuos Games, who are basically a people shop with tons of developers, who did the majority of the work on the remaster. Obsidian was involved though - I don't know how much.
Strange as MS owns the game rights as of last year according to articles.

Strange as MS owns the game rights as of last year according to articles.
Both things can be true :) Yes, they own the rights going forward. Outer World 1 is still owned by Private Division though :) I'm sure Microsoft is getting compensated in some way for any involvement from Obsidian though.

Both things can be true :) Yes, they own the rights going forward. Outer World 1 is still owned by Private Division though :)
Yeah you know I really hate IP right ownership it's always a mess. So yeah MS owns the IP for future games, but Private Division somehow retained rights to the first game.

Someone needs to fire the acquisition team at MS. Those were not good terms.

Yeah idk, I doubt the fact that they started it prior to the acquisition means MS doesn't have any power over what's going on now.

Yeah idk, I doubt the fact that they started it prior to the acquisition means MS doesn't have any power over what's going on now.
I would agree. Microsoft would of agreed to Obisidians involvement (and some form of compensation) and they probably thought a remaster of the first one would of been good for the Outer Worlds 2!

Sadly that might of backfired though. The update is getting savaged with bad reviews.

I would agree. Microsoft would of agreed to Obisidians involvement (and some form of compensation) and they probably thought a remaster of the first one would of been good for the Outer Worlds 2!

Sadly that might of backfired though. The update is getting savaged with bad reviews.
I'm not surprised. It seems like a superficial improvement at best, and gamers are accustomed to getting those for free nowadays.

It's too bad they didn't go the extra mile with some rebalancing of the difficulty and the loot system. That would have made it worth it to me.

The upgrade (though it installs as a separate game) was only NZ$10 (~US$6), and I have kids that haven't finished it yet, so i got it.
I've seen plenty of reports of performance issues, so I'll run it the once just so I can see for myself how it performs.

Bought it to put some money in Obsidian's pockets (whether that was actually happening I have no idea...I hoped it was). Base game said DLC had been downloaded and would install. It was identified as intalled DLC on the primary game page for the base content. But no files in the folders for the base game were updated, and upon running the base game there was no indication that the Spacer's Choice DLC was installed.

There was a new game entry for OW Spacer''s Choice in my library, so I installed it. Save games did not carry over to the new Spacer's Edition install. Another user in the Steam forums suggested that the save games from the base game install needed to be copied to the new folders for the Spacer's edition. I did that, and the save games were still not imported.

This was an instant return for me. As I said, I only bought this to support Obsidian. But if a full restart of the game is required for the access to the content to be active, then I have no need for this upgrade. Definitely not as advertised. Buyer beware.

save games are supposed to be incompatible...can anyone confirm this ?

Might have bought this on console (got over half way through on xbox) had saves been compatible. No way do I feel like restarting and spending another 30+ hours redoing what I've already done (I explore everywhere, do everything, in detail, so games like this take a lot of time). Guess I'll stick to the first gen graphics and finish it off when time permits.

thanks for the information, will try it out....

Back
Top Bottom