Betrayal at Krondor - Neal Hallford Interview @ Shane Plays

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Shane Plays talks with Neal Hallford about Betrayal at Krondor, which is 30 years old already:

Betrayal at Krondor 30th Anniversary & Fan Film Challenge with Neal Hallford - Shane Plays Ep 266

Hey there, friend! If you're into classic games and fascinating stories, you'll love our latest podcast episode featuring the multi-talented Neal Hallford. Join us as he shares insider details on the renowned Betrayal at Krondor CRPG, and get excited about the game's 30th-anniversary celebrations!

This innovative game was truly ahead of its time, and Neal takes us on a journey to explore the bold choices that made it such a hit. Discover the game element that needed a makeover but ultimately turned out even better!

Did you know that Neal's incredible work on the game led Raymond E. Feist to include it in his iconic Riftwar Saga novel series? Hear about their collaboration and get an insider's perspective on Feist's impressive business acumen.

But wait, there's more! Brace yourself for some juicy behind-the-scenes stories of the BAK sequel drama, complete with corporate antics and a dash of Machiavellian mischief. You won't want to miss it!

Neal also shares his thoughts on his Krondor Remastered project and reveals what he'd do differently if he had the chance to remake the game today. Plus, find out which lessons from his Swords & Circuitry game development textbook still hold true and what he'd update for the modern age.

And if you're a budding filmmaker, get inspired by the Betrayal at Krondor Fan Film Challenge, where even your trusty smartphone can be your ticket to success!

Lastly, uncover a surprising connection between Betrayal at Krondor and the legendary BioWare. Tune in now for an enthralling and engaging conversation that's sure to spark your curiosity!

More information.

I grew up on authors like Feist and later Hobb, so I loved his books. (The entire "Magician: Apprentice" series was and still is a favorite.) The game was pretty good as well, I remember playing it on a Commodore 128 with floppy disks, I think. Later tried to play it on GoG and was just... nah. Not like it didn't age well but it is a 30 year old game. :D
Surprising to hear about it again after all these years. It deserves the fans.

I grew up on authors like Feist and later Hobb, so I loved his books. (The entire "Magician: Apprentice" series was and still is a favorite.) The game was pretty good as well, I remember playing it on a Commodore 128 with floppy disks, I think. Later tried to play it on GoG and was just... nah. Not like it didn't age well but it is a 30 year old game. :D
Surprising to hear about it again after all these years. It deserves the fans.
You certainly weren't playing it on a c128! It came out 4 generations of home computers after a c128! More likely you are talking about a Pentium, 486, 386 or even a 286. I played it on an Amstrad 286 PC-clone that ran it a grand old 12 mhz or so!

And the series called "The Riftwar Saga". Magician: Apprentice is just the first half of his first book "Magaician". The publisher tried splitting it into 2 books because they thought some people wouldn't buy such a long book!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom