The Last Spell - Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamegrin checked out The Last Spell:

The Last Spell Review

The Last Spell is a roguelike isometric, turn-based, RPG tower defence developed by Ishtar Games and published by The Arcade Crew. My expectations of the storyline when I heard it was a dark fantasy was it would be generic. Like all dark fantasy stories, an endless war has ravaged the lands of a nameless world and it's up to you to find peace. Only, The Last Spell's writers have broken the generic tropes by absolutely rocking the kasbah with themes of total annihilation and the hope of destroying the things that led to said destruction in the game's premise.

An unhinged archmage with the dumbest name I've heard -- Heronymous Teller -- decides the war has gone on for too long and learns how to cast a purple nuke blast. Picking a town that surprisingly had the entire royal family residing in, except for the king, it's obliterated within seconds. The tragedy leads to The Cataclysm, a short period where mages from other regions -- with orders from the king -- learnt the spell to destroy literally every settlement in the land.

[...]

A roguelike tower defence game that doesn't throw any punches in relation to its story, pixelated graphics and killer soundtrack. I'm sure you'll have a blast on the pursuit to banish all magic with The Last Spell.

Score: 9.5/10
More information.

Game's been on my wishlist for a while.
Can't wait to get to it!

Yes, I'm a sucker for a well made Tower Defence game, and if it's fantasy-based with RPG stuff then all the better. I've also only really heard good things about this one so far, so it's one I'll try to play at some point, probably after Easter sometime though.

Roguelike and tower defence are two things I don't really like... and yet this game looks appealing to me and I've been following it for awhile. Turn-based, with the RPG mechanics and some great pixel art make it worth trying at some point.

Reviewer apparently had good fun with this game.
Played their early demo years ago and it looked good.

Back
Top Bottom