Risen 2 - First Impressions @ Mortismal Gaming

Okay, I have to ask. Not trying to be a jerk, but why do we get links to every single one of this guy's videos? Is he related to someone here? Does he have some kind of official relationship to RPGWatch?
There's no special relationship to RPGWatch, he's just a guy who delivers well made PC RPG reviews and previews on a very high rate.
Another blogger with many PC RPG videos is Splattercatgaming, who gets a lot of newsbits here as well.

Yea, my two cents on this - Mortismal rpg videos, I don't mind being featured here, there are others who have videos featured here regularly whom I never click on. At least I have an interest in some of Mortismal videos. He seems to be all about the classical style rpg genre, mostly, which is appreciated.

I clicked on this video for science, and I find this guy to be okayish. However this treading-of-the-water type of content-for-content's-sake videos, about known titles from decade+ ago, really relies on strong sense of nostalgia for excellence (or at least hidden gems). I've owned Risen 2 since release and will not waste the time. I know it's bad.

Let me recommend Grim Beard instead. I may have been turn onto his videos from here, don't remember. But suffice to say every Grim video gives great insight to one game deserving of rediscovery, as well as being witty, self-aware, encompassing without being redundant - truly an occasion to look forward to. More than once they convinced me to play something a decade+ old I didn't know was any good (or existed). Or even something completely out of circulation. But it's nice to know these cult classics exist and that they belong with the known classics.

Last edited:
All of Mortismal's videos are about different games which imo is vastly preferable to someone like WolfheartFPS who constantly revisits the same game.

As for Risen 2, it's not great, but there are a lot of worse games out there.

I love how his videos are "first impressions" from games released years ago. I'm not being ironic here, I really do like this.

Never watch them
And its hilarious with these 10+ yo games "first impressions"

Never watch them
And its hilarious with these 10+ yo games "first impressions"
Yep, the notion of someone rushing to put out "first impressions" of a game that came out over a decade ago makes me laugh. At least I'm not the only one.

Yep, the notion of someone rushing to put out "first impressions" of a game that came out over a decade ago makes me laugh. At least I'm not the only one.
It's just poor wording on his part. He obviously doesn't mean it as a first impression in the same way as a new game. It's his first impression of a game he's never played, but he should probably think about changing the title of these videos.

Okay, I have to ask. Not trying to be a jerk, but why do we get links to every single one of this guy's videos? Is he related to someone here? Does he have some kind of official relationship to RPGWatch?
He has great content.

Back
Top Bottom