RPG General News - Two new Pathfinder Games

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Couchpotato spotted that Paizo partners with BKOM on two new Pathfinder games. BKOM is the developer of Sunday Gold:

Paizo Partners with BKOM on Two Pathfinder Games!

BKOM Studios and Paizo are joining forces to bring two new Pathfinder video games to the market! One will be launching on Steam later this year, and the second is in early stages of development.

BKOM Studios and Paizo Logos over-layed over an image of the pathfinder Iconics battling a red dragon

"We are so excited about this collab," says Frederic Martin, CEO of BKOM Studios. "We absolutely love role playing games (lots of us at BKOM are already part of that community) and already were fans of the Pathfinder brand. In Paizo, we found the ideal partner with whom to collaborate to materialize a common vision. After 26 years in this industry, there are people whom you know you want to work with again. And John Feil (Director of Licensing at Paizo) is definitely one of them. We can't wait to reveal more about the projects we've been working on with John and his colleagues," he adds. "The upcoming titles are perfectly aligned with BKOM's vision to bring unique and meaningful gaming experiences on PC and consoles."

"We at Paizo are incredibly excited to be working with BKOM," says Mark Moreland, the company's Director of Brand Strategy. "Their track record is impeccable, and we can't wait to expand the Pathfinder brand into new digital spaces with them."

Details about both projects will be revealed soon!

More information.

I hope the games are well funded and not RPG lite games. As the D&D IP has many mediocre games developed by small unknown studios. At least the developer released one good game already. Also this news might be disappointing for die-hard Owlcat fans.

I hope the games are well funded and not RPG lite games. As the D&D IP has many mediocre games developed by small unknown studios. At least the developer released one good game already. Also this news might be disappointing for die-hard Owlcat fans.
My first blush impression is that they will be smaller projects as Paizo tries to monetize the heck out of their brand. But who knows, I'll keep an open mind and open eye on them as they develop.

Announced in April and will be launching the same year? These projects must be significantly smaller in scope than their previous games.
They may well be, but I don't think the timing of the announcement necessarily ensures it. It may have been in development for a while.

They may well be, but I don't think the timing of the announcement necessarily ensures it. It may have been in development for a while.
I just realized I read it wrong. When I saw "Pathfinder", I immediately assumed it was Owlcat even though it clearly says Paizo and BKOM. I still think it will be smaller in scope compared to Owlcat's games though.

Yea, not too excited about this. Probably will be garbage, intended for mobile gaming market or something like a cheaply made and shallow action rpg.

I haven't played Sunday Gold, but it looks like an adventure/VN rpg lite game. That would be my first assumption about the kind of game they are going to make.

I haven't played Sunday Gold, but it looks like an adventure/VN rpg lite game. That would be my first assumption about the kind of game they are going to make.
BKOM also released a licensed D&D game back in 2017:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhC7Eq15Mw

BKOM also released a licensed D&D game back in 2017:
Urgh, for some reason my comment box is bugged.

Anyway, I was just going to say that I have this game, played it for a while. Alas, it's not exactly D&D and not exactly good.

My fingers are crossed that this will be a good cRPG, but the way it's being announced, it doesn't sound like another game at the same level as Owlcat's games. Sounds like another card game crap.

But most of all, I really hope that this is not the end of the partnership between Owlcat and Paizo...

Last edited:
Extremely disappointed.. never heard of this studio for one and this means likely that Owlcat wont be working on Pathfinder games for a while at the least :cry:

I dunno, Sunday Gold (by BKOM) looks pretty interesting to me*, and I'd be happy for a different take on Pathfinder. There's no reason why all of the games have to be fully fledged RPGs.
(* a cursory glance had me going "wut", but after further inverstigatriion my interest is piqued)

I'd like a few more as well. I still haven't done a full playthrough of WotR as I am waiting for the all the second season pass to be finished! I'd like Owlcats to do another module as well of course. It doesn't sound like this new arrangement is exclusive so I think that is still a possibility.

I dunno, Sunday Gold (by BKOM) looks pretty interesting to me*, and I'd be happy for a different take on Pathfinder. There's no reason why all of the games have to be fully fledged RPGs.
(* a cursory glance had me going "wut", but after further inverstigatriion my interest is piqued)
Based on what you've seen made you interested?

I had a look at their past games and nothing seem to stand out? They did some UI work for Age of Empires 4 (which is funny, because they presented it like they developed the whole thing), Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation was "mixed" on Steam and seem to be taken off from Steam for whatever reason. Sunday gold is their latest release with okish review from small number of players. And their current projects are both mobile games.

Extremely disappointed.. never heard of this studio for one and this means likely that Owlcat wont be working on Pathfinder games for a while at the least :cry:
Why do you think Owlcat won't work on PF for a while? In a tweet this seemed to be news to them too, and there's "the more the merrier" (though it may be ambiguous). I don't think there's any exclusivity anyway, both studios could work simultaneously. But I'm not following that closely at the moment.

At least I hope they'll get back to it, I thought they said as much last year?

Why do you think Owlcat won't work on PF for a while? In a tweet this seemed to be news to them too, and there's "the more the merrier" (though it may be ambiguous). I don't think there's any exclusivity anyway, both studios could work simultaneously. But I'm not following that closely at the moment.

At least I hope they'll get back to it, I thought they said as much last year?
Owlcats said they won't rule it out but to me, it sounded more like "just in case" rather than they have any plans to return to it.

They are still working on WotR DLCs & WH40K: Rogue Trader so I doubt they are working on another Pathfinder game or will anytime near future.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong and we will see another Pathfinder cRPG from Owlcats soon.

The fact that they are using their resources to announce another Pathfinder game shows that at least they are on good terms. If we are being optimist, it could mean that they still have a partnership.

Owlcats said they won't rule it out but to me, it sounded more like "just in case" rather than they have any plans to return to it.

I share your concern. Owlcat has a remarkable talent for creating Pathfinder games and it would be a shame if WotR was their last one. However, perhaps you are overinterpreting the situation or being too pessimistic?

Back
Top Bottom