Honkai: Star Rail - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The sci-fi J-RPG Honkai: Star Rail has been released:

Official Release Trailer - "Interstellar Journey" | Honkai: Star Rail

Honkai: Star Rail is an all-new strategy RPG title in the Honkai series that takes players on a cosmic adventure across the stars. Hop aboard the Astral Express and experience the galaxy's infinite wonders on this journey filled with adventure and thrill.

Key Features

• A New Title in the Honkai Series - Embark on a new astral adventure.
  • Turn-Based RPG - Engage in thrilling, strategic combat.
  • Dungeon Exploration - Uncover the Fragmentum's secretes with your team.
  • Superb Graphics and Sound - Dive into an immersive experience.
More information.

Another nail in the coffin...

Like Genshin Impact this game is very F2P friendly - I got 10 playable characters for free after 2 hours of playing. Beta testers already reported that this game is completely playable with these early characters.
So everybody who doesn't like the real money Gacha mechanics can completely ignore this part of the game and enjoy a modern turn-based sci-fi J-RPG.

True but my problem is that it's another F2P game. Only one I enjoyed enough to pay was the BioWare Star Wars game. As I don't like playing online F2P MMO's all that much.

Well, I got kind of used to it. And, I really do not know why ... but i find more variety in MMO games than in standard standalone offline games these days ... I really don't know what I'm doing wrong ...
There aren't many story focused games these days I find ... But, i must admit that any instance of combat is for me rather some kind of "necessity" in order to go/get on with the story ...
What I'm doing wrong, I guess, is, that I don't follow the Indie scene close enough. But then, I have only so much spare time after work ...
I loved SWTOR, but got more and more fed up by this constant factions thing ... Their story is good, though, especially that it is fully voiced.

With me longing for more non-war settings (SWTOR has some kind of "eternal war" setting) in which real life storoies do metter - and that I'm actually presented life stories within a setting - I'm nowadays glad that I - despite the look I had to get used to - gave Genshin Impact a chance. It shows me far more diversity than I had seem before, with the devs basically re-inventing and re-workibg almost all fantasy tropes I know of (including zombies), it feels so much better to me as a setting. But that's a very personal thing, I know. I do realize that everyone has a different taste when it comes to gaming.

I have played a few hours of Honkai Star Rail now, and it looks very much like Sci-Fi to me now. No fantasy part at this point. AND : It is turn-based !
Everything's a little bit overwhelming, thouigh. So many new words and terms I just don't understand ... But looking at the curtain, I think I see that some things are similar to Genshin Impact ... Only with *very* different words ...

I just watched the launching stream, and found that there will be presence of the game developers at a few conventions :
- Los Angeles QAnime Expo in July
- Paris Japan Expo in July
- Taipei Gamers Con in July
- Cologne Games Com in August
- Tokyo Game Show in September

I'd still rather have a Bioware type single player experience, but this doesn't have many negatives from the hour or so I put into it.

Here's a couple of codes to give yourself some credits, stellar jade and other stuff in the game. You'll apparently need to play the tutorial and create a character at the end of that in order to apply the codes. Note that most if not all of these codes expire on the 30th of April:

HSRGRANDOPEN1
HSRGRANDOPEN2
HSRGRANDOPEN3
HSRVER10XEDLFE
STARRAILGIFT

@JDR13 I know you're probably goofing around, but the download size is probably inflated by the amount of voice work and general art assets. I've been surprised by the amount of full-voiced content so far, and there's a lot of music, artwork and general visual effects. I agree that there's less texture/model detail, but the download size seems pretty reasonable given what's included. Certainly compared to some 70+GB games recently.

With weapons being replaced by those "Light Cones", they saved a LOT of weapon models and fighting animations !
This game simply has no weapon models apart from those which a character/figure carroies as standard. Everything additional does only "exist" during the fight animations.

Edit : At this time (remember, this is 1.0 !) , it has 14 GB on my HD.

Genshin Impact, which is currently version 3.6 , had 64 GB.

Back
Top Bottom