Stray Gods - Release Date: August 3

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Stray Gods: The Roleplaying Musical will be released on August 3. Couchpotato spotted a preview on Gaymingmag:

Stray Gods: The Role-Playing Musical has our full attention

I was always going to be a sucker for Stray Gods - it's an RPG musical, for god's sake - but I was woefully unprepared for just how exciting the premise and narrative potential that Summerfall Studios have cooked up.

With the game demo released last week, I sat down to see whether my expectations would be met. The short answer is: yes, this combines all my interests - video games and musicals. The long answer is that Stray Gods is a musical that looks like it will pull at the heartstrings, embrace its campy side, and give us a video game we won't soon forget.

The first segment of the demo introduces players to the protagonist Grace (Laura Bailey), a 20s-something woman in a band alongside her best friend Freddie (Janina Gavankar). They're looking for someone to complete their merry band, but nobody seems to be making the cut. We see Freddie try to reach out to Grace, because there is a clear emotional and logical disconnect in our protagonist - one that feels hauntingly real to witness - but to no avail. Even in a room full of people, Grace is alone and adrift.

The rest of the segment cuts to what I've been gnawing at the bit to see: music! To be more exact, we're treated to a soliloquy from Grace where she likens herself to a boat with no oar, lost at sea and unsure if there's something wrong with the world, or just wrong with her. If that isn't a mood, then I don't know what is.

[...]

More information.

I'm assuming the Venn diagram of people who like both musicals and cRPGs is extremely small, but I'm not complaining since it includes me.

It looks incredibly appealing, if they can pull it off it may become a new genre on its own. They'll get +1 sale from me, regardless.

Almost downloaded the demo out of curiosity, but I don't think this is for me. I watched some footage on YouTube, and it seemed like a cartoon with bad karaoke singers.

Back
Top Bottom