Elengard: Ascension - Combat

From Steam:

Elengard: Ascension

Elengard: Ascension focuses on the idea of overcoming, self improvement and... ascension! This is accomplished by: (1) making you start from a low position in the world; (2) providing a realistic-driven combat mechanic, which makes the game more immersive, challenging and, consequently, rewarding; (3) providing high control and high diversity of combat abilities, increasing the sense of freedom and power; and (4) allowing you to become superpowerful to the point where you transform yourself in an epic supernatural being. The ascension is not merely a gameplay element that makes your character powerful, it is also related to the events that happen in the story, as well as the philosophical reflections that emerge on the contemplation of light and dark, and of chaos and order.

Features​

1) Gameplay and Combat
Ability configuration:
configure several features of abilities (especially spells), such as power, range, radius, and more. Let prepared as many pre-configured abilities as you want.
Spell actions: change the spell shape and behavior of some spells while casting. For example, make a magical barrier grow or shrink, explode or be projected into a stream, or even, control a Fire Tornado's direction.
High control of combat actions: chose between a plenty of strategic actions, like, prioritizing block defense or dodge defense, area attacks or non-area attacks, swing attacks or straight attacks, weapon grip modes, combat modes like Speed X Strength, Aggressive X Defensive, and much more.
Reversed class system: most abilities have one or more associated classes. You are free to choose abilities without having class constraints, but you gain class levels when choosing a class ability. The class level is not a mere title, it can provide bonus and break prerequisites.
D&D-like classes: enjoy a group of classes inspired in the classical D&D classes, but built in a different way! Some examples are Soldier, Barbarian, Rogue, Wizard, Sorcerer, Priest, Paladin and Druid.
Realistic-driven combat mechanics: enjoy a realistic-driven combat mechanics making the combat experience challenging and immersive. This makes some usually easy combat situations (in other games) much harder, like fighting a wolf or more than one weak enemy. This creates immersion and makes each victory much more rewarding.
Animations and visual effects: animations are strongly interconnected with combat mechanics (i.e., if you dodge an attack, the animation shows a dodge, if you block, the animation shows a block). Visual effects will also be coherent to the spell behavior (e.g., effect increases with spell power).
Single player x Multiplayer: the development is aiming on singleplayer, with a strong intention to extend it to multiplayer in the future.

2) Lore and story
Story:
The game takes place on a land that is being slowly being covered by darkness. You start as a humble farmer with an ailment that causes you a personal loss. At the same time you start being pursued by dark forces. This leads you into an journey of survival, enlightenment and self improvement, culminating in your ascension! Discover the mysteries of the Eight Gods that open the path of enlightenment and understand the true nature of your condition and how everything is connected!
Lore: The game takes place in a world created and governed by a pantheon of gods, who have their own philosophical alignment and intend to shape the world accordingly to it. Roughly, their philosophy is a manifestation of the Good X Evil - Order X Chaos quartet. This quartet is a manifestation of an even more fundamental binary principle of reality. These principles will be shown to be present in many aspects of reality, from macro to micro scale, including in spells, abilities, and classes (and here we have a connection between the lore and the gameplay).

It says the player will have a high degree of control in combat, yet the video mentions that dice rolls determine whether or not you hit when attacking. That doesn't add up.

Hmm....this sounds like the studio or engine for Forspoken and that game was trash. I could be mistaken but I'll need more information to formulate a proper opinion.:unsure:

It says the player will have a high degree of control in combat, yet the video mentions that dice rolls determine whether or not you hit when attacking. That doesn't add up.
It sounds like older Elder Scrolls games, where hits could connect, but wouldn't do damage if the weapon skill was too low. It seems a bit odd to bring back such a system, as it was always a bit of a strange hybrid.

It sounds like older Elder Scrolls games, where hits could connect, but wouldn't do damage if the weapon skill was too low. It seems a bit odd to bring back such a system, as it was always a bit of a strange hybrid.
From what they say in the video, I think it's like Morrowind where there's a dice roll to see if the attack hits successfully. At least that's how I seem to remember Morrowind. I think Daggerfall used your weapon skill.

Morrowind's system is not very intuitive. It uses weapon skill as the primary chance to hit (1-100), but it is then multiplied by fatigue, so if your fatigue is low, you can still miss with 100 weapon skill. On top of that, there's evasion and various buffs/debuffs that also come into play, making it seem somewhat random, but it actually isn't. However, it does lead to a somewhat odd sensation where you're visibly hitting an enemy with maxed out weapon skill and not connecting. As much as I love the game, I always found that part annoying.

Back
Top Bottom