Lies Of P - First Impressions

I'm surprised it's getting this much hype. I played the demo and wasn't that impressed. It's a competent souls clone with nice visuals but nothing special imo.

Reports claim it has a million players just from the demo. That's good news but the question is how many of those million demo players will buy the main game?

I had a quick read about this on Korean wiki.

Its based on the novel Pinocchio, and one of the selling point is how P may change into a human as well as how the world react (e.g. who becomes your ally/enemy or whether you get any reward or not) to whether you lie or not during the game play.

Its getting a huge support from Korean gaming community since its something different to what Korean devs usually work on (MMORPG).

Apparently, reception outside of Korea has been good too.

I'm not interested (not the sort of thing I enjoy) but hope its a decent game for those who are interested.

I played the demo, until the game put me back to the start because "I didnt lie". BS. They can keep this idiocy to themselves.

Excellent. I've tried the demo, out of curiosity. It's a big 20-GB download.

And sure enough, it's another of those games hard-coded for QWERTY keyboards.
Uninstalled and kept the name of the incompetent dev to avoid future games. What's wrong with those people?

There would be a chance I played this if it released now, as there is a gap in before all the good games release. But 19 September release is asking to be ignored forever.

I don't know who advises these release windows, but they need to hire someone who can read a calendar.

There would be a chance I played this if it released now, as there is a gap in before all the good games release. But 19 September release is asking to be ignored forever.
Did you try the demo? Curious what you thought of it since you seem to be a big fan of Elden Ring.

Did you try the demo? Curious what you thought of it since you seem to be a big fan of Elden Ring.

I did not try it, the setting doesn't look very interesting to me, though the clips I've watched look solid. I feel like it's one of those games that are not in my list of anticipated games, but I'd try if I had nothing else to play when they are released.

Right now I'm playing Miasma Chronicles, for example, fitting the same category.

I did not try it, the setting doesn't look very interesting to me, though the clips I've watched look solid. I feel like it's one of those games that are not in my list of anticipated games, but I'd try if I had nothing else to play when they are released.
Oddly enough, the setting was the only thing I liked. I think they pulled off the late 1800s style really well. The gameplay is entirely derivative though, and I don't think you're missing anything essential if you don't play it.

Yeah, the quick time elements will keep me far from this one, for sure. Thanks for posting this relevant information and saving me both time and monies.

I played through it 3 times and found it quite good. It could use some balancing though. The common enemies where very easy while the bosses where incredibly hard. Maybe that’s by design but the difficulty ratio between common enemies and boss fights felt much steeper than the souls game. ( not that they have to mimic souls games, just an observation. I also felt they could use more healing items given all the chip damage you take.

It’s pretty standard souls. It’s got your souls, bonfires and estus flasks all called something else of course and combat is standard souls fair. It’s got a crafting system that seems to just involve interchangeable hilts and blades to make different weapons. I though it was going to be pretty limited until I found the P-organ at the end of the demo that opens up a skill tree. I could only see a small portion of it as most of it is locked and hidden and you really don’t have an opportunity to use it in the demo.

If you like souls there’s a good chance you’ll like it. if you don’t I doubt there’s enough gameplay differences or story for you to like it. And no there’s no QTE’s (at least no in the demo) not sure where that came from.

Almost forgot there are timed dialogues and there seems to be some lie vs telling the truth mechanic that wasn’t covered extensively. Also combat has a sekiro like mechanic. Properly timed blocks deplete there posture or whatever they call it.

Last edited:
It could use some balancing though. The common enemies where very easy while the bosses where incredibly hard. Maybe that’s by design but the difficulty ratio between common enemies and boss fights felt much steeper than the souls game.
Indeed, that's one of the things I don't like about it. Most of the normal enemies went down with 2 hits (I was using the heavy sword), but that first boss was a ridiculous spike in difficulty.

I actually tried it last night after @JDR13 pointed the demo out.

I think it is quite bland and generic as far as Souls-like games go, though I found the setting to be actually charming, despite initially having written it off as being uninteresting.

I'm unsure it's a game I'd play unless I was extremely bored still. Perhaps if the reviews are very positive and the game's hiding more than it appears on a first glance. It's a bad year for trying out random games.

Indeed, that's one of the things I don't like about it. Most of the normal enemies went down with 2 hits (I was using the heavy sword), but that first boss was a ridiculous spike in difficulty.
Yep, I died probably 20 times to the 2 bosses and only twice the rest of the demo and 1 of those was falling off a rooftop.
I actually tried it last night after @JDR13 pointed the demo out.

I think it is quite bland and generic as far as Souls-like games go, though I found the setting to be actually charming, despite initially having written it off as being uninteresting.

I'm unsure it's a game I'd play unless I was extremely bored still. Perhaps if the reviews are very positive and the game's hiding more than it appears on a first glance. It's a bad year for trying out random games.
Not sure how long you played but most of the gameplay mechanics open up as you play through the entire demo. Your right in part though as there’s nothing new or especially innovative about it. So if your tired of the souls formula it’s probably not going to reawaken your interest.

Yep, I died probably 20 times to the 2 bosses and only twice the rest of the demo and 1 of those was falling off a rooftop.

Not sure how long you played but most of the gameplay mechanics open up as you play through the entire demo. Your right in part though as there’s nothing new or especially innovative about it. So if your tired of the souls formula it’s probably not going to reawaken your interest.
Only until I killed the first miniboss. At that point it wasn't obvious where to go next (find some door to use the key on) and being a demo, I had no more patience. It is an unfair way to judge a game, but they are the ones releasing within two weeks of BG3 and Starfiels, so I feel they are the ones who don't want people to pay attention to their game.

Back
Top Bottom