Cyberpunk 2077 - Expansion Overhaul

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer hopes that the expansion Phantom Liberty will fix the game:

I'm hoping against hope that Cyberpunk 2077's expansion overhaul will finally fix the game's lingering mechanics malaise

I've always loved this game, but it's never felt quite right.

When Cyberpunk 2077 had its big redemption arc thanks to post-launch patches and the Edgerunners anime, I scoffed⁠--this game was always this good, glitches or last-gen console performance notwithstanding, but those vaunted updates never quite got at the real malaise at the heart of its RPG system: character building and gear that never felt substantial or rewarding, and always served as more of a drag on Cyberpunk's great combat, stealth, and storytelling.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I understood differently. I thought the DLC and the mechanics overhaul were distinct, since everyone will benefit from the latter, with or without DLC.
Yeah - even if you don't buy the expansion you'll get an update. But the reason for the update is the expansion.

There's no way CDPR would tie an update to an expansion. Fans would go fucking bonkers (despite the fact that they're all buying the expansion anyways.)

So how much will break when they move the original game into unreal engine ?

So how much will break when they move the original game into unreal engine ?
I suspect you're just joking there, but they're not moving the original game to Unreal engine. It's being said that the sequel will use Unreal 5 (or whatever version Unreal is at the time.)

Yeah - even if you don't buy the expansion you'll get an update. But the reason for the update is the expansion.
Is it? It seemed quite independent, their last presentation showed that there was still a CP2077 team, which is separate from the DLC team. The updates even makes saved games unusable, so they have to restart a game for the DLC. But maybe they wouldn't have done it if there wasn't a DLC to justify the cost? Who knows.

I wonder if they'll release both at the same time or if we'll see the update before.

Last edited:
Has that been confirmed?
Sort of. In this interview, the game director for the DLC said it was possible to trigger the DLC either by playing from the start or by jumping ahead to where the expansion starts (similar to what they did for the Blood and Wine expansion). He didn't explicitly say that saved games wouldn't work but it sounded like the two only alternatives.

Even if it were possible to use the saved games, it would be a mess with the changes in the skill tree.

I figured maybe we could use existing saves and that installing the update would change the skill tree and leave us with a pool of skill points that corresponded with whatever level the character was.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I haven't played Cyberpunk 2077, though I might after the upgrade, but I've always found it odd how many of the criticisms directed at it could just as easily apply to The Witcher 3, even though the way folks talk the latter's God's gift to gaming and the former's the Antichrist. Perks not feeling all that meaningful and the gear you get on quests easily becoming obsolete? Yep, sounds like TW3.

Poor performance on certain platforms right after release is one thing, but I suspect a lot of the Sturm und Drang around this game could have been avoided if folks had managed their expectations towards what it was always likely to be (sci fi Witcher) instead of assuming they were getting GTA + Deus Ex or some such. And yeah, I know the usual excuse is that the developers promised the latter, but I followed the development and marketing alongside everyone else and certainly didn't get that impression.

Poor performance on certain platforms right after release is one thing, but I suspect a lot of the Sturm und Drang around this game could have been avoided if folks had managed their expectations towards what it was always likely to be (sci fi Witcher) instead of assuming they were getting GTA + Deus Ex or some such. And yeah, I know the usual excuse is that the developers promised the latter, but I followed the development and marketing alongside everyone else and certainly didn't get that impression.
Cyberpunk 2077 is actually much closer to GTA + Deus Ex than it is to being sci-fi Witcher. (I'm not even sure where you came up with the sci-fi Witcher thing.)

I agree about it failing to meet the hype at release though. It's taken 2+ years to get to where it probably should have been to begin with.

I had a save game somewhere about three-quarters into the main story, but I'll just begin a new game when I get the time to play it. Feels like a great opportunity to hit the hard reset button, forget all past experiences with the game and take it all in anew.

Cyberpunk 2077 is actually much closer to GTA + Deus Ex than it is to being sci-fi Witcher. (I'm not even sure where you came up with the sci-fi Witcher thing.)

I agree about it failing to meet the hype at release though. It's taken 2+ years to get to where it probably should have been to begin with.
A lot of the complaints I've seen about the game amount to it not being sandboxy enough. And the impression I've gotten is that, much like in TW3, the open world is not meant to be a sandbox but mostly just a large, pretty set for cinematic story beats, which is what CDPR is actually good at.

A lot of the complaints I've seen about the game amount to it not being sandboxy enough. And the impression I've gotten is that, much like in TW3, the open world is not meant to be a sandbox but mostly just a large, pretty set for cinematic story beats, which is what CDPR is actually good at.
Seems like an odd thing to complain about considering CDPR has never been known for making a sandbox, nor was CP 2077 advertised as one.

Ok good. I'll wait and buy the eventual Complete edition with all the DLC.

Daniel.

Question answered you can start a new game with just the expansion, or play the game from start. All according to new info shared from the game director.

Basically the same way it was handled in Witcher 3.

Looks like it starts right after you finish Pacifica and the voodoo boys quests.

Back
Top Bottom