Rogue Trader - A proper CRPG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
COG checked out Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader:

Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader Preview

There are, as we all know, videogames for every age, interest and skill. There are games that only require attention for a few minutes at a time. Then there are games like Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader. Owlcat's upcoming homage to both the original Warhammer tabletop game and its own CRPGs -- now in beta -- is one of those titles that can crossover from being a casual dip into the Warhammer world to a happy time sink and weeks' long commitment. Even the beta runs well over 60 hours.

In addition to being an incredibly deep CRPG similar to the developer's Pathfinder, Rogue Trader is a lore lover's dream game. Fans of Warhammer 40K will relish the remarkable attention to detail. Casual gamers largely unfamiliar with Warhammer will enjoy the game simply for its excellent tactical gameplay and story.

Trade Like a Rogue
The Rogue Trader experience begins with the kind of character creator that CRPG players love. It's deep, allowing for customization of physical appearance, but also a huge number of critical traits, backstory elements and starting skills. Though everyone will obviously be a rogue trader, there are already a staggering number of ways to make your character your own, unique player in a grand narrative.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I am at 80 h in the Beta and have a lot of fun. There are some bugs and missing content, but this might be my favorite Owlcat game yet.

I don't have time to go into too many details, but the main negative for me is how hard it is to chose and understand skills and stats. The system needs some more accessibility like a better visual connection of correlated skills.
A big positive is combat. And I LOVE ship combat. I even wished there was more of it.

Yeah I agree the skills need to be simplified and easier to understand as both Pathfinder games had the same problem. I enjoy ship combat also some won't.

he is right, it's a proper rpg. I finished the beta yesterday. Needs improvement but it's totally worth playing.

It's great news, indeed. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

What does ship combat involve? I still have flashbacks to PoE2 ship combat (next turn, turn left, next turn turn right *yawn*...let it end!) And then in WotR ....the crusade management part. In my first playthrough of WotR , I got 70% the way through, then turned it off. Same with Kingdom management in PF:K - those aspects really don't interest me, but I hate just turning them off since they are designed into the game and you are supposed to engage with them.

Back
Top Bottom