Starfield - The Debrief @ IGN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN presents some info about Starfield:

Starfield Direct: The Debrief | Unlocking Starfield

Bethesda's Starfield Direct presentation on June 11th gave us our most in-depth look at the space RPG yet. After our watch party in partnership with Lucozade, we sat down with Xbox On's Bex Donald and presenter, writer, and IGN alumni Alysia Judge to discuss creatures, crew-building, ship and character customisation... and sandwiches. Lots of sandwiches. Sponsored by Lucozade.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

So many videos and articles in the last few weeks hyping hype. I really hope the game lives up to the hype, and doesn't become another lesson like Cyberpunk 2077.:fingerscrossed:

Also found this as a digital pc gamer doesn't surprise me.

Bethesda has clarified the standard edition will come with a disc after the news was shared. Though the premium and constellation editions will not. Like I said not a surprise.

Frankly I haven't used a game disc in years.

Seems odd that the standard edition would come with a disc and not the collector's edition. Oh well, I can't imagine there are still a lot of people that would care about something like that.

I would gladly use physical disc to install the game instead downloading it. Unfortunately it is completely senseless if I have to download patches of same size as the game itself. Often even day one. Also ... physical copy without disc? And most probably also without any additional physical content (manual, etc.)? Just ... why?

I like the idea of owning a game and not depending on a service that may disappear, but indeed, disks don't mean much when games heavily depend on early patches (and sometimes not-so-early ones). The GOG formula is probably as close as you can get to that freedom these days. Sometimes, it's a pain to download, but you only must do it once.

I don't even have an integrated reader anymore. When I remember about unreliable disk-based DRMs like Securom, I don't miss it.

Most PCs today don't even come with a DVD or BD player anymore. Also yeah hated Securom because it was basically a malware rootkit. Ruined my PC quite a few times.

Most PCs today don't even come with a DVD or BD player anymore. Also yeah hated Securom because it was basically a malware rootkit. Ruined my PC quite a few times.
I think that I had to remove it, once, because it failed to recognize the disk, even though it was a brand-new original. And otherwise it would do funny noises by shaking the optical head (some DVD movies do that, too, like the Matrix series). It's not always reassuring.

But it warms my heart every time, knowing that it keeps pirates at bay. (no pun intended)

Never heard of Lucozade. So that's a big thing in the UK I guess?
It's morphed into some sort of "sports drink" now. During childhood Lucozade would appear in the house as an aid to recovering from colds and other childhood illness. A sticky, sugary slightly bitter fizzy drink. A glass of that and a copy of the Beano comic could cure anything from measles to whooping cough.

I think the idea of providing media if you buy a boxed game is not bad - some people have terribly slow and spotty internet connections, so if you could at least install the 'gold' version of the game immediately, that should be good. CD/DVD's are cheap - providing some faster alternative like a flash/thumb drive would be pricey, with game sizes now in 100 GBs. Besides optical media, what other cheap (and fast?) non-internet data distribution options are there? At one point there were plans to push DVD type disc capacities further, but I think those have petered out and everthing is now solid state storage + high speed network?

I haven't had a PC with a DVD/CD drive in it for like 5 years now. I do have an external plug in DVD drive for rare situations like copying over music from an old DVD. I am not a collector so buying collector editions of games isn't a thing for me. Collections usually just collect dust.

I still have the Morrowind disk set - it's one of the very few I kept. The box contains a map, a manual, and only 2 CDs. Now, many games don't even fit on a Blu-ray.

Also ... physical copy without disc? And most probably also without any additional physical content (manual, etc.)? Just ... why?
Well the Constellation Edition comes with physical goodies for the bargain price of $300 ;)

I don't believe you can purchase a physical copy of the standard edition for PC. I think that's only for consoles, but yeah, it seems nonsensical.

The Blu ray discs are intended to be the future of DVD style media. They are still around, you can get many tv shows and movies on blu-ray. They have 25GB to 50GB capability, but its said they are working on 100 GB and higher capability on one blu ray for the future, so one should eventually be able to hold these huge 100 plus GB games.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blu-ray make a comeback. I am looking to buy a Blue ray player that can make/burn blu-ray discs. It's nice to have a complete game on them, there is something solid about it, like owning a physical book vs a digital copy.

Back
Top Bottom