Obsidian Entertainment - 20th Anniversary Part 2

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
This is the second part of the Obsidian 20th anniversary documentary:

Obsidian 20th Anniversary Documentary | Part 2

The look back on the past 20 years of Obsidian Entertainment continues after losing one project and is followed up with one of their biggest games yet with Fallout: New Vegas. Hear stories on New Vegas, Dungeon Siege III, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and even the canceled Stormlands in part two of this multi-part series.
Thanks Redglyph!

More information.

Only two weeks late as the anniversary is over. Anyways thanks for sharing both of you. Here's hoping obsidian is around for another 20 years making RPGs.

Edit: Also the opening jab is for obsidian not the site. As it's been almost two weeks since part one was posted online. Just had to share that for misunderstandings.

Sorry had to add that as someone always misunderstands certain posts.

Last edited:
It looks like there's be at least a 3rd part.

I loved when Feargus, wearing a Pentiment t-shirt, was saying that everyone was seeing Obsidian as a company releasing bugged games. Indeed, this game shipped full of bugs - even the first patch introduced a new critical bug. :ROFLMAO: They just can't help it.

I can get past games being buggy at launch as long as they're good. Obsidian's problem isn't bugs, it's that they're not making the same kind of games that they used to.

Only two games that I haven't enjoyed from Obsidian was Grounded which is their biggest seller, and Pentiment which was a small budget side project of Josh's.

Obsidian had one of their best years for revenue thanks to Grounded.

Anyway I'll probably buy Avowed and Outer Worlds 2 which is their next games.

Last edited:
I'm already sold as it looks and sounds like a fantasy version of Outer Worlds. Though the games producer isn't keen with that description being used. So who knows.

We'll see what they do with Avowed (a few safe months after release), but the trailer didn't convince me. It's a little early to get a good idea of what it is, though.
Indeed. In fact, the trailer did the opposite of convincing me. I was hyped about a first-person open-world game in Eora. Then I saw that trailer, along with them announcing that it was no longer going to be open-world, and now it's pretty much off my radar.

It is open world but the old hub based illuision type like KoToR 2, Witcher 3, and Outer Worlds. I use to talk about this in the past and eveyone claimed that was open world.

The developer implied it was open-world in the beginning which would be why everyone thought it was going to be open-world.

Sure I understand being disappointed but it's not a surprise. There was a lot of rumors, and leaks about stalled development and being rebooted last year.

True open world games aren't really Obsidian's talent anyway. Hub based with good story and companions is their strength.They just got lucky with Fallout NV.

Yeah, that's what I meant about them not making the same kind of games now.

I'll still check it out of course. I'm just not overly hyped about it.

True open world games aren't really Obsidian's talent anyway. Hub based with good story and companions is their strength.They just got lucky with Fallout NV.
You're more right than you know. F:NV isn't all that open either. There's a pretty clear and delineated progression for quite a while. They literally blocked the other major route from the start with deathclaws that would annihilate anyone who went that way at that level.

You're more right than you know. F:NV isn't all that open either. There's a pretty clear and delineated progression for quite a while. They literally blocked the other major route from the start with deathclaws that would annihilate anyone who went that way at that level.
I remember that happening. Go north meet a miner who asks you to help the workers, ten muinutes later your attacked by 10-15 death-claws. Only way to win is cheating.

So I always went the long way instead.

Nah, FO:NV is as open as any other open-word game or at least most of them. You're nudged in a certain direction at the beginning, but it's still an open-world game by any definition. Having higher-level enemies between you and certain areas doesn't change that.

Wow, I'm getting old. Obsidian is considered to be one of the newer developers by my brain.
Many younger gamers probably think so as well. They didn't get the recognition they deserved untill Fallout NV was released on every system available. A shame really.

If you go back more then twenty years it was founded by ex-Black Isle employee's, and if anyone doesn't know they were known for the original Fallout, and Baldur's Gate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom