Avowed - Preview @ WolfheartFPS

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Once again I don't have to lower my expectations. See it's called following news and the information given was development was rebooted last year by the higher ups.

The interviews from last months showcase show it's basically a fantasy version of The Outer Worlds. It'll be open world hub-based, story focused, and have good companions.

That's everything I'd expect from an Obsidian RPG. Gotta love YouTubers with click-bait headlines. Really can't blame them through their doing it for clicks and money.

Last edited:
It's why people can't enjoy anything. First, create a dream-like, idyllic concept of a game you just saw a screenshot about, then proceed to roast it to hell once not everything is exactly as you dreamed.

Guess what, you're going to be disappointed about everything in life that you treat like that. It's not about lowering expectations, it's about not fooling yourself with utopic scenarios to start with and learning to enjoy reality.

This might be a novel concept to some, but it's actually ok for someone to express disappointment if a game doesn't have features that are important to them, especially if they thought it was going to for whatever reason. That doesn't mean they're trashing the game.

This might be a novel concept to some, but it's actually ok for someone to express disappointment if a game doesn't have features that are important to them, especially if they thought it was going to for whatever reason. That doesn't mean they're trashing the game.

I will believe that from about anyone except people who need to create conflicting topics out of nowhere to get viewership dollars to pay their bills. I can't even blame them, but I'm too old to be that naive.

I guess you missed the part where it's not a game yet?

I will believe that from about anyone except people who need to create conflicting topics out of nowhere to get viewership dollars to pay their bills. I can't even blame them, but I'm too old to be that naive.
I don't follow Wolfheartfps or watch his videos on a regular basis. He comes off as a bit of a shill to me sometimes. In fact, he actually responded to something I said about him once on here

That said, there's nothing egregious in the video. He actually states several times that he's still looking forward to the game and likes a lot about it. Of course that doesn't change the fact that it's mostly just easy clickbait because all he's doing is saying what he knows is already on a lot of people's minds.

I guess you missed the part where it's not a game yet?
What I said has nothing to do with that. Maybe you should reach out to Wolfheartfps and explain that he shouldn't be expressing any sort of opinions or disappointments because the game isn't out yet. ;)

Good thing I don't pre-order stuff.

The closer the game gets to Outer Worlds, the smaller my hope that it would be a good game.
Especially with the focus the devs seem to be putting on story, writing, forced companions, etc.

Don't get me wrong, that can work out fine.
But the same people already failed to provide that in Outer Worlds, which had the most disappointing worldbuilding, horribly written characters and most toenail curling cringe "humor" I've witnessed in a very long time.
While the gameplay in OW was just... absolutely nothing special. I tend to describe it as aggressively mediocre, by the numbers stuff.

There's just nothing in here that would get any hype up other than seeing the rather interesting PoE world from a different perspective.

What I said has nothing to do with that. Maybe you should reach out to Wolfheartfps and explain that he shouldn't be expressing any sort of opinions or disappointments because the game isn't out yet. ;)
Don't you know that the only game where you allowed to do that is Starfield and only as long as you have a very positive thing to say that a certain poster agrees with? :)

I usually enjoy watching his videos, he looks at something from different angles and takes the time to 'think aloud' and summarize what we know, putting his bias aside and answering questions people may have rather than going to the obvious.

It's true that we can easy to be fooled by the title. I think he saw the doubts people had about the game and thought it was worth doing a video about it, but he does it well. It's not clickbait and churning out videos, unlike someone who would babble about games he likes, games he dislikes, what is good in games he dislikes, what is bad in games he likes, and so on. ;)

I usually enjoy watching his videos, he looks at something from different angles and takes the time to 'think aloud' and summarize what we know, putting his bias aside and answering questions people may have rather than going to the obvious.

It's true that we can easy to be fooled by the title. I think he saw the doubts people had about the game and thought it was worth doing a video about it, but he does it well. It's not clickbait and churning out videos, unlike someone who would babble about games he likes, games he dislikes, what is good in games he dislikes, what is bad in games he likes, and so on. ;)

I don't like or dislike the guy, so that's not even in question for me. I appreciate that you value their opinions, and I'm glad that you enjoy them.

To me it has nothing to do with how accurate or relatable, or likable they are - I just don't trust people who make money out of giving opinions on the work of others without creating anything themselves, especially when those videos are the perfect length to introduce a YouTube mid-roll commercial break. And more so when they don't have even a career as a journalist. I would be more inclined to watch their videos if they announced that they will not monetize it like I'm not monetizing my opinions here.

Most opinions on the net are monetized these days. Regarding RPGs the RPG Codex and the RPGWatch are two of very few websites that don't work for money.

I just don't trust people who make money out of giving opinions on the work of others without creating anything themselves, especially when they are the perfect length to introduce a mid-roll commercial break.
If you're talking about this video in particular, I don't remember seeing an ad - did I miss one? Either way, I'm not too concerned about them, as long as they're easy to skip.

By watching some of WolfheartFPS's videos (to take his example, but it applies to most others), you'll quickly see that he adds a value, like most content creators:
  • In this video, it may not be so obvious because he's only gathering facts and summarizing them. Still, this has value to someone who doesn't have the time to read or watch everything about the game.
  • In other videos, he puts a game in perspective with the lore. For example, he's going to explain events, places, or characters of BG3 in D&D. For someone who doesn't want to read all the D&D literature, it's valuable.
  • He reviews games.
  • Other videos just have recreational value, when he's playing a game. Or it could be interesting for someone who wants to buy the game, to see gameplay footage.
So, yes, most of those people create something useful, even if it's based on something else. Most products we use everyday follow exactly the same principle. If their product is not interesting, nobody watches (or buys) and they usually have to do something else.

Every YouTube video has ads from Google embedded in them. Some of the videos also have sponsor ads for cash. Also you can now be blocked for skipping ads.

Here was the latest update from YouTube about AdBlocker.
Even Twitter is a mess for news lately as well.

So, yes, most of those people create something useful, even if it's based on something else. Most products we use everyday follow exactly the same principle. If their product is not interesting, nobody watches (or buys) and they usually have to do something else.
Everyone creates something every time they even breathe in life. The creation argument is extremely generous. In my opinion, the only creators are the developers, he is just someone with an opinion about people who create things, and without a professional career to make his opinion any more valuable than anyone else's. At least professional journalists go through University for that.

Some posters here do better jobs at summarizing the perks or downsides of a game in their own opinion in an easy-to-read way, without needing to go through 12 minutes of monetized video that not everyone has the will or the time to commit to.

I'm glad you find value in it, though. Good for you.

Last edited:
Here was the latest update from YouTube about AdBlocker.
Even Twitter is a mess for news lately as well.
They're really trying to push their premium registration. It's hard to complain if they want people to pay for it, but I doubt I'll find the service worth yet another fee. Especially with broken suggestions and their new 'Shorts' invading Youtube.

I think many people (except couch ;)) may have had unreasonable expectations about scale - I just don't think Obsidian is large enough to make an open world experience like Skyrim. And that's fine - I think the world/lore is plenty interesting and if they have good companions and craft a decent story, then I'm in. It is a little suprising that they don't support more than human/elf (vs PoE1/2 which allowed many races), but if it makes sense from narrative perspective, and I can evolve my character in the way I want, that's good enough for me.

I think many people (except couch ;)) may have had unreasonable expectations about scale
I agree with this. The game was announced, what, 2 or 3 years ago and it was marketed as Skyrim in PoE setting. Then they were silent about the game for 2 years or so and I almost completely forgot about it (and I suspect many did forget about it). It is only now that they are backtracking on that and saying that it will be a smaller scale game.

One thing to remember is that it is their first game after they were bought by Microsoft and many people expected it to be a bigger budget game than their previous games.

I personally don't mind the smaller scale but I can see how some people can be disappointed by the recent developments.

Back
Top Bottom