KotOR - Casey Hudson Interview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gizmodo/io9 interviewed project director Casey Hudson about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Is Still Blowing Minds, 20 Years Later

io9 talks to project director Casey Hudson about the influential BioWare RPG and shares some exclusive concept art.

The year 2003 felt like a banner one for Star Wars fans. We were coming off the release of 2002's Attack of the Clones, and the wait for the "final" Star Wars film was filled with all manner of books, comics, video games, plus an animated micro-series from Genndy Tartakovsky. Among this deluge, one title managed to stand above the rest.

I'm talking about Knights of the Old Republic, which turns 20 this year. BioWare's RPG not only shook up the gaming industry, but served as an epoch within Star Wars itself. Between opening up a new era of storytelling and introducing a cast of memorable characters, KotOR became an RPG behemoth whose influence is still felt in Star Wars today.

To celebrate Knights of the Old Republic's two-decade milestone, I spoke with project director Casey Hudson about bringing the game to life, some little-known details about the development, and the impact it's had overall. The concept art in this article comes courtesy of artist John Gallagher; we'll have more to share in an upcoming feature focusing on his work.

An Even Longer Time Ago...
"I can't believe it's been 20 years already. That doesn't make me old though!" Hudson pointed out at the beginning of our discussion. In the time since its launch, the game has continued to influence fans via merchandise, and bits of lore frequently find their way into current projects.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Hard to believe it's been twenty years since the game released. The closest we ever got to a true sequel was the F2P version. Come on BioWare make another game.

I was wondering which game "SW:TOR" was. It's a rather odd abbreviation. ;)

It's been a long time. I liked it and it was a good game (especially considering it was made for consoles too), but I didn't realize that it "not only shook up the gaming industry, but served as an epoch within Star Wars itself".

Twenty years ago it was revoulunatary as no one ever made a true StarWars RPG before. Only tie fighter and a few adventure games. After that a few strategy games.

Nowadays it's almost the same as most developer's and Disney only care about games that will sell millions. Not bashing what's released but they are not RPGs.

I would literally fund a StarWars isometric RPG made with Unity if I could.:greedy:

I was wondering which game "SW:TOR" was. It's a rather odd abbreviation. ;)
That's the F2P title and your correct just realized that, but the article is for the early 2000's RPG. I know it gets confusing as three games use basically the same name.

Back
Top Bottom