Remnant 2 - Review @ Fextralife

You can check my news-thread for more reviews, and they are mostly positive.

Here's the written counterpart (that I just posted and deleted in Couch's thread ;)).

Apparently, it's best played just for the shooter aspect and not the story. And it's a lot of RNG...
Well that shouldn't be a surprise as it's a Souls clone. As you explore the game you find notes, computers, and other objects to piece together the back story.

At least in the first game that was how it unfolded.

Apparently, it's best played just for the shooter aspect and not the story. And it's a lot of RNG.
Well if the RNG is implemented in the same way as the first game, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

I can't say I care much about the story. Some of the best games I've played didn't have much of a story.

Well if the RNG is implemented in the same way as the first game, it's not necessarily a bad thing.
Isn't that disturbing to see similar things organized differently when you meet them again?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept. Maybe I just need an upgrade. ;)

Isn't that disturbing to see similar things organized differently when you meet them again?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept. Maybe I just need an upgrade. ;)
I think it would be if it was in the same playthrough. That's not how it works though. The world is seeded when you begin a new game but then stays persistent.

I think it would be if it was in the same playthrough. That's not how it works though. The world is seeded when you begin a new game but then stays persistent.
That's what I understood, but the review gave me the impression that the idea was to have a few playthrough to open more content. I suppose it's better to generate something new each time, even if it's similar, than always seeing the same world.

That's what I understood, but the review gave me the impression that the idea was to have a few playthrough to open more content. I suppose it's better to generate something new each time, even if it's similar, than always seeing the same world.
I think it probably appeals more to the hardcore fans that like to do multiple playthroughs. I rarely replay games, so it doesn't matter much to me.

If this was a regular RPG though, I wouldn't want it to be done that way. I prefer everything to be hand-placed. I don't even like it when loot is randomized like in TW3.

If this was a regular RPG though, I wouldn't want it to be done that way. I prefer everything to be hand-placed. I don't even like it when loot is randomized like in TW3.
I wouldn't like it either, that's why I'm still hoping that Starfield has a first common experience for everyone, then only starts with different RNG for 2nd and other playthroughs.

Yeah, randomized loot isn't great. At least, in TW3 they made an effort to stay coherent in what you found and where (IIC); in Encased you could find cash in trashcans or flower pots, and other nonsense. I don't think that if there was an apocalypse, my first idea would be to quickly throw my money there (or maybe it's for luck?).

I wouldn't like it either, that's why I'm still hoping that Starfield has a first common experience for everyone, then only starts with different RNG for 2nd and other playthroughs.
I don't think that's possible for Starfield unless I've completely misunderstood how the procedural generation works.

Unless you're talking about the main quest locations. Those will be the same for everyone except for the loot.

I don't think that's possible for Starfield unless I've completely misunderstood how the procedural generation works.

Unless you're talking about the main quest locations. Those will be the same for everyone except for the loot.
I'm not optimistic. But as you say, it's just a part of the environment and the secondary quests.

It would theoretically be possible if they assigned the same seed to everyone for their first playthrough. It would even be quite easy to do.

It would theoretically be possible if they assigned the same seed to everyone for their first playthrough. It would even be quite easy to do.
I'm not sure about that. I don't think Starfield creates a world seed in that way. They mentioned that the random planets are generated on the fly when you approach them.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think Starfield creates a world seed in that way. They mentioned that the random planets are generated on the fly when you approach them.
They must generate it on the fly or they'd have to store all that on disc. But it's not incompatible, on the contrary.

A pseudorandom generator is initialized with a seed that determines all the values it generates - they'll always be the same sequence for that seed - so if you use the same seed every time you generate that planet, the result will always be the same. I'm pretty sure that's how they do it each time the player visit a planet so they don't have to store all the generated stuff.

A master seed can be used to calculate all the planet seeds in the same playthrough, fixing the whole system from a single value.

That being said, they could very well make a random master seed when the player starts a game (depending on the date and time of day, for example). In that case, it will be different for everyone.

Anyway, all that is just speculation. :)

Back
Top Bottom