Non-RPG General News - Shadows of Forbidden Gods

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The strategy game Shadows of Forbidden Gods has been released:

Shadows of Forbidden Gods

A strategy game in which you attempt to bring about the apocalypse, by moving covert agents through a complex fantasy world to accomplish a wide range of schemes, plots and rituals. You start the game by bribing guards and infiltrating minor farming communities and slowly build up your forces until you are bringing about ice ages, eradicating entire nations with plague, summoning volcanoes and commanding city-devouring snake-gods.

You play a set of agents and corrupted heroes against the forces of good, the rulers and heroes of humanity, lead by the Chosen One. They may be stronger than you, and could eliminate your agents with ease, but you have the advantage of secrecy, and humans are easily turned one against each other. Why fight a war against a unified empire when you could shatter in into civil war and clean up the pieces with orcish hordes?

Complex AIs power the forces of good, and you can, if the mood takes you, play on their minds. Rulers can be driven to gold-obsessed lunatics, who will cause their people to rise up in anger at the insane taxations, dukes can be tricked into turning on their Kings by a carefully placed personal item which implies a court scandal, heroes can be driven insane by the maddening tales read in The Laughing King's Tome and the shadow can corrupt your enemies to the point where they start funding your agents instead of their own people.

Designed as a very flexible apocalypse simulator, Shadows of Forbidden Gods allows you to mix and match your toolsets with unique agents and varied effects, with the human forces responding dynamtically, levelling up their heroes to face what they believe to be the major threats.
More information.

Hmm...this looks familiar to another dropped game the site covered years ago. Maybe I'm imagining it but thanks for sharing. Maybe one day on a cheap sale I'll buy it.

Yah, it was inspired by the old Kickstarter game 'That Which Sleeps" which failed in the end, as the original Dev couldn't make it work and gave up. However one of the backers/fans decided he wanted to try and build something like it himself then, and that led to this.

This dev has gone through three iterations of effort trying to make it work (i.e. he made three games, the first two less well designed, before this latest). Commendable determination. This latest has real potential I think. I got it recently and while it has a clunky UI I think it is good and could definitely go places given its mod-ability. I really hope they switch the music up though. It is far too peaceful and contemplative for what you are doing in game :).

Note - I am not affiliated with the game or even a member of the discord. But I like the possibilities for growth with this, LOVE the idea, and have to respect the effort.

Interesting to hear this story, Cam. I supported "That which sleeps" on Kickstarter and I was immediately reminded to this by the video. Let's see if it gets released on GOG

Oh, indeed, I backed "That Which Sleeps" as well. Interesting!
Good find, keeping my eye on this one.

Another here that backed or tried to back "That Which Sleeps", I never did hear the saga of all that went down. Thanks for the info! And agreed, I've much respect for the sheer effort that obviously went into this.

Back
Top Bottom