Risen - Retrospective Review

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Gamefreaks365 look back at Risen:

Why Risen might be one of the best RPGs you haven't played

Here's why Risen might be one of the best RPGs you probably haven't played yet. By the same developers as the popular Gothic games, Risen is similar to that franchise in many ways, but it executed certain things way better than its predecessors. It was released in 2009. There are no spoilers in this article.

Let's consider various aspects of Risen and discuss why it might be one of the best RPGs you probably haven't played.

The combat
First and foremost, I want to talk about the combat of Risen. It's a very interesting system that may not be comparable to hack 'n slash games by today's standards, but it still offers a great level of depth.

There are three classes, so to speak: one where you can use one-handed weapons and shields, one in which you use two-handed heavy weapons, and a mage class where you utilize a staff and other magic. But you are not limited to one of these classes at any given moment. Instead, you can plan and customize your character freely.

My character is one that wields a one-handed sword and a shield. It's a balance between power and defence, and there's a variety of moves to execute. Without learning more about the respective weapon skills and investing points in them, you cannot effectively progress your character, obviously.

For example, when you gain levels in the respective skill regarding one-handed swordplay, the number of attacks you can combine into a combo increases. That doesn't end there, either. There are a lot of mechanics like parrying and counterattacking that you can obtain with new levels.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

I've been recommending Risen on Steam Deck and Switch Reddit subs and people have been very receptive and I've heard good feedback ... cool that it is seeing this resurgence!
I agree: everybody should try Risen at least once.

Risen has always been underappreciated. It's the closest Piranha Bytes ever got to recreating the atmosphere of Gothic 1 & 2.

Enjoyed all three Risen games but it was hard to imagine how the series changed compared to the first game. It was the start of the new direction for PB.

After that we got Elex which had some of the older PB charm.

Enjoyed all three Risen games but it was hard to imagine how the series changed compared to the first game. It was the start of the new direction for PB.

After that we got Elex which had some of the older PB charm.
Well said! Risen 2 and 3 were quite different from the games before and after them. I still liked them but I wouldn't call them a must-play, even for a PB fan.

Well said! Risen 2 and 3 were quite different from the games before and after them. I still liked them but I wouldn't call them a must-play, even for a PB fan.
I felt like Risen 3 was the worst of that series. I like Risen 2 despite its shortcomings. The setting felt fresh at the time. I think it might be their least popular game though.

Don't know how many times I've loaded this up, only to be brushed aside because something better just came along. I guess I'm slightly put of by having the hack and slash tag, but reading Gamefreaks365 look back, there appears to be a lot more depth than I first thought.
Maybe I'll get past the beach this time.

Risen has always been underappreciated. It's the closest Piranha Bytes ever got to recreating the atmosphere of Gothic 1 & 2.
Not sure about underappreciated part, but for me, after Gothic 3 and Gothic 4 (I know, different developer, still it was part of PB downfall image), it was great relief and reassurement PB is still around and still know how to do it. Unfortunately, it was also last game from PB I finished.

Back
Top Bottom