Fextralife - Top RPG News

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Fextralife summarizes last week's RPG news:

DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN 3??, Atlas Fallen, China Hero Project Games - Top RPG News July 30, 2023

Timestamp
0:00 - Top RPG News of the Week
0:11 - Atlas Fallen Combat and Customization Showcase
1:45 - RIN: The Last Child Metroidvania
2:46 - Sea of Starts coming to PS+
3:38 - Remnant 2 80k concurrent players
5:10 - Lords of the Fallen Boss Gameplay
6:42 - PlayStation China Hero Project Games
8:26 - Larian Studios Definitely Want a Divinity Original Sin 2 Sequel
More information.

What game would Watchers like to see Larian make next? Divinity 3 or more D&D? Or maybe something completely different.

What game would Watchers like to see Larian make next? Divinity 3 or more D&D? Or maybe something completely different.
I'd like something we don't have to wait 6+ years for!! I don't actually have that many more decades of prime gaming left in me!

I'd like a standalone D&D product not related to BG. Just create a new game and storyline in the Forgotten Realms. I'd like another setting but Forgotten Realms is at an all time high in terms of popularity so I would say stick with that, maybe set in the southern sword coast?

I'd like something we don't have to wait 6+ years for!! I don't actually have that many more decades of prime gaming left in me!

I'd like a standalone D&D product not related to BG. Just create a new game and storyline in the Forgotten Realms. I'd like another setting but Forgotten Realms is at an all time high in terms of popularity so I would say stick with that, maybe set in the southern sword coast?
Yeah games take way too long to make these days. Hopefully with their engine tech now mature Larian will be able to make things more quickly. I keep wanting to see Waterdeep so I'll go with that. Any particular reason for the southern sword coast?

Yeah games take way too long to make these days. Hopefully with their engine tech now mature Larian will be able to make things more quickly. I keep wanting to see Waterdeep so I'll go with that. Any particular reason for the southern sword coast?
I think I might have my geography mixed up. Originally I was thinking of Waterdeep and south of it down to Calimshan. But after I actually took a look at my map I realised a lot of that isn't actually the sword coast and it would encompass way too much land for an cRPG to cover - it would even include Amn + BG and Candlekeep etc. What a grand adventure that would be!

I would amend my answer to be the lands south of Amn. I quite liked the sound of Calimshan in the Drizzt books.

Now that they've invested so much in this, I'd like to see at least some DLC for BG3.

But for a next game, I don't care too much. Maybe something entirely new. And, if possible, a game that releases before Swen retires. ;)

I don't think the engine had much to do with the long development since it's mostly an update of the D:OS2 engine. A part of it must be the D&D mechanics, the spells, the classes, and the maps (for which they don't seem to have easy tools). Another part must be all the cinematics, which was something new for them. And the big part they didn't expect was all the C&C, as they said at the last PfH and in the interviews.

I doubt that they'd make another D&D without adding new classes, so most of the new content would require as much work, except not everything will be from scratch and they're probably much more efficient in all aspects after BG3 (Swen hinted at that a few times).

I'm pretty certain there will be expansions for Baldur's Gate three.....after all, after you've fed the cattle, you do have to milk them.

I'm pretty certain there will be expansions for Baldur's Gate three.....after all, after you've fed the cattle, you do have to milk them.
Maybe but the amount of work needed might mean they won't bother. One of the latest interviews mentioned they have no type of mod tools to make it easier.

Also Larían has never jumped on the DLC bandwagon like other developer's.

I'd like to see them go back to the original Divinity saga and continue that.
I wouldn't mind that. I suppose it will continue to be cinematic with lots of choice and consequences. I wonder if Larian will go hard into the lore and flesh it out more fully after their D&D experience. The world of Rivellon seems like it needs more world design.

I think I might have my geography mixed up. Originally I was thinking of Waterdeep and south of it down to Calimshan. But after I actually took a look at my map I realised a lot of that isn't actually the sword coast and it would encompass way too much land for an cRPG to cover - it would even include Amn + BG and Candlekeep etc. What a grand adventure that would be!

I would amend my answer to be the lands south of Amn. I quite liked the sound of Calimshan in the Drizzt books.
Calimshan is definitely one area I want to see. I suppose in a D&D game featuring Waterdeep we would probably see some of that area also.

Now that they've invested so much in this, I'd like to see at least some DLC for BG3.

But for a next game, I don't care too much. Maybe something entirely new. And, if possible, a game that releases before Swen retires. ;)
I've heard it mentioned that there is currently no DLC in the works for BG3. I wouldn't expect that to change, but who knows? Larian already has another project it is working on.

I've heard it mentioned that there is currently no DLC in the works for BG3. I wouldn't expect that to change, but who knows? Larian already has another project it is working on.
Yes, who knows. We have enough to keep ourselves busy anyway. :)

Swen said in an interview (with Dropped Frames, I think) they were waiting to see how the reception was before making any decision on what to do next. I found that a little hard to believe, because 400 people can't just be paid to wait. They still have a lot of work to port BG3 on Xbox, which is quite the challenge for the series S, but I doubt this work involves everyone. Maybe he just doesn't want to tell.

Back
Top Bottom