HOMM 3 - History

Not bad it would have been better to look and discuss the whole franchise instead though, but this is not a full documentary on their main channel as a team.

Anyway it's a shame what has become of the IP under Ubisoft.

HoMM 2 & 3 were easily the best of the series. It's been downhill ever since.
Totally agree, but the bar was so high on those, that imo, even the latter games are still mostly decent, and better than a lot of other fantasy turn-based games.

Totally agree, but the bar was so high on those, that imo, even the latter games are still mostly decent, and better than a lot of other fantasy turn-based games.
I remember HoMM lV being decent, but I thought V felt generic, and I didn't play it long. I don't think I even tried VI.

Probably not coincidence since IV was the last installment developed by New World Computing.

From memory, HoMM II and III are the two I played the most (sometimes drunk - at gatherings!), but I remember HoMM IV being pretty damn good and I probably didn't play as much of it due to over familiarity.

When it all went 3D animated style I found I couldn't really get into it. Can't remember exactly why, but it must have been something beyond the presentation style. Maybe I should give them another go.

Pretty fun video. I loved HOMM3. Was probably close to being my first PC game ever. At a time when I didn't have my own PC.
Either HOMM3, Diablo 2, NFS1 or Supaplex, if memory serves.
NFS1 would of been very dated at that point. It came out 5 years earlier. I think you would be talking about NFS2? NFS2 was memorable because I believe it was bundled with the Voodoo2 (along with one of the Tomb Raider games) and the graphics were very nice at the time (1997). I remember thinking at the time that the graphics were so amazing that graphics surely could not get any better than this! Amazing how things change.

NFS1 would of been very dated at that point. It came out 5 years earlier. I think you would be talking about NFS2? NFS2 was memorable because I believe it was bundled with the Voodoo2 (along with one of the Tomb Raider games) and the graphics were very nice at the time (1997). I remember thinking at the time that the graphics were so amazing that graphics surely could not get any better than this! Amazing how things change.
I'm pretty sure it was NFS1, and it was probably a few years later after release. It wasn't on my or my family's PC. It was on a friend's iirc.

I'm pretty sure it was NFS1, and it was probably a few years later after release. It wasn't on my or my family's PC. It was on a friend's iirc.
You would be the one to know, I just though you might of been thinking 2 because 2 was so much better than part 1 and how large the release gap was. HOMM3 came out a few years after NFS2 :)

HOMM3 was a masterpiece. Ubisoft raped the franchise and turned it into an ugly, corrupted Frankenstein Monster Horror Show.

Probably my most played game from the HOMM series. Such a great game series up until 4. I have not played anything after that.

I remember HoMM lV being decent, but I thought V felt generic, and I didn't play it long. I don't think I even tried VI.

Probably not coincidence since IV was the last installment developed by New World Computing.
VI is alright; worth trying at a cheap price. VII was a step down from that... but at the right price, and if you're not expecting too much, they can offer some decent fun. Just don't expect anything like 2,3, or 4.

EDIT: Just checked on Steam and I have 195 hours logged for HoMM VI, so it was "good enough" to play for a while.

Last edited:
Yeah 5 and 6 are okay games but the seventh version was a huge disappointment.

After looking them up, I see that V, VI, VII were all done by different developers. It's hard to keep any kind of consistent quality when a series keeps switching hands like that.

I'm surprised VII wasn't better. I thought Limbic did a decent job with M&M X.

Back
Top Bottom