Risen 2 - Retrospective Review @ C4G

Like I said before love all three Risen games but the first one is the best.

I agree, I liked them all but Risen 1 was the best for me. I am not very fond of pirate themes, even when there are monkeys involved.

Definitely not one of the best RPGs ever, but I enjoyed Risen 2 and think it's a bit underrated like most of PB's games. I liked the pirate theme. If nothing else, it was different at least.

I have started Risen 2 a couple of times. That is all I know about it. :)
Yet another game on my "really must go back and play it properly" list. I need stop time. Or devs need to stop making games. Or something.

Same, I've started Risen 1 twice.

I tell myself once I retire I'll finally be able to play all the games I own. Hopefully that's how things pan out :)

I enjoyed playing it somewhat with a combat shotgun build. Some of the islands needed to be smalerl with more details but some of them did actually hace decent exploration. HATED the QTE's.

Weird because next two felt like they just reused assets, and part three was a different protagonist. At least the first game felt like a Gothic game, and the next two didn't.

I enjoyed playing it somewhat with a combat shotgun build. Some of the islands needed to be smalerl with more details but some of them did actually hace decent exploration. HATED the QTE's.
I forgot about the QTE's, but now that you mention it, I hated them too. There were those traps hidden in the grass that would one-shot you if you didn't hit the right key. Luckily they were few and far between.

I forgot about the QTE's, but now that you mention it, I hated them too. There were those traps hidden in the grass that would one-shot you if you didn't hit the right key. Luckily they were few and far between.
I think there was like 5-6 in the entire game?!? What a stupid thing to waste time on that would only serve to frustrate the player. Maybe they removed most of them when the realised how bad they were and just left a few so as to not waste the development time?

I'm glad QTEs went out of fashion. And those traps were horrible.

I skipped Risen 2 and 3 when they first came out, but played them after I finished Elex. Risen 2 was fun, clearly not one of the greatest RPGs of all time.

I hated the QTEs also. In fact I quit playing after the second one and never went back. I liked the third better for that reason.

I thought Risen 2 was a fun game, within its limitations. Piranha Bites are great at making these enticing Adventure/RPG games that may not be a technical prodigy but do feel compelling to play.

That reminds me that I need to play the first Risen. I bought it like 10 years ago on a Steam sale, but only played it for 30 minutes then bailed. I've done that with tons of games. I blame ADHD (I was actually clinically diagnosed with that, but I never took it that seriously, but maybe it actually is a significant problem lol)

The presence of QTE is enough of a turn-off to not bother with Risen 2.

That reminds me that I need to play the first Risen. I bought it like 10 years ago on a Steam sale, but only played it for 30 minutes then bailed. I've done that with tons of games. I blame ADHD (I was actually clinically diagnosed with that, but I never took it that seriously, but maybe it actually is a significant problem lol)

The presence of QTE is enough of a turn-off to not bother with Risen 2.
Did you play any of the Gothic series? If you enjoyed those then you'll most likely enjoy Risen as well.

As for Risen 2, don't let the talk about QTEs dissuade you from trying it. There's only a handful of them.

I actually have Gothic 1 and 2 on my gog account. I did spent some time with Gothic 2 and did like it but, but I'm not sure what caused me to bail early on. I always think fondly of that game (in fact, its the last game I played that gave me Ultima 7 vibes). Might be a good time to go back and try to finish that one off.

Back
Top Bottom