The Lamplighters League - Review @ IGN

I tried the demo (which is just the first couple tutorial missions) and enjoyed it, even though it doesn't give you access to very much of the full gameplay mechanics. I also watched ACG's review which was quite positive, outside of performance issues. This game was a "maybe" for me, but I think it will probably be a "buy" at some point.

I reactivated my XBOX PC Game Pass due to Starfield, I confess, but since I haven't bought the right PC parts enough to better appreciate its graphics/gameplay (my current PC is still AMD Ryzen 7 2700X + 1070Ti + 16 GB Ram + M.2 SSD - barely above the minimum requirements), I'll keep subscribed in order to play The Lamplighter's League on day 1, since I pretty much like Squad-based games. :) :)

Every time I read the name "The Lampligther's League", I can't help thinking of

lamplighter.jpg

Last edited:
Looks interesting but yeah it's not on my must play list.

Also Gamepass is a good choice for those who are undecided.

Cute game, but it's not for me. It looks good though for people who enjoy strategy games and that style of art.
I don't mind the art style but I do think it will turn some people off; and maybe give some the wrong impression. After watching ACG's review and reading a couple others, it became apparent that the game offers some interesting mechanics and layers, and is deeper than it would appear based on its art style.

[ EDITED ]

Last edited:
Tried the demo. Really liked the turn-based combat, but the real-time part kind of ruins it. Not a day-one purchase for me.

I don't get the reaction to the art style.

Probably not going to play this any time soon, just too busy a Fall release schedule. I might go ahead and pick it up to support Harebrained, though.

I would never be able to get past the weird, hipster art style. The way the faces look, etc. It's more than just being cartoonish.

I would never be able to get past the weird, hipster art style. The way the faces look, etc. It's more than just being cartoonish.
I'm not a fan of art style either but... what do you mean "hispter" art style?

I say hipster because it’s out of the mainstream and is obviously intended to be cool or edgy in some way. A more extreme recent example of hipster art style is Return to Monkey Island. There could be a better word to describe it, I’m open to suggestions.

I'd call it quirky, not hipster, but I can see what you mean. Regardless, I generally don't let the visuals keep me from good games. We'll see if this is a good game, though. When it's free to play* there is no risk involved in trying it.

*It's not free to play, it's included in a game subscription I have permanently enabled due to other games I play often, and this one is an extra I wouldn't have paid for anyway.

I've tried the demo and it's not for me.

The setting and the cartoonish graphics are fine, so is the humour, but the environment is square, linear, and quite basic, while requiring a surprising amount of GPU power to render (maybe they still need to optimize it?). You move the characters like a 3rd-person view (or by point-and-click or like Diablo) but in a top-down 'isometric' view that restricts what you see. You can enter 'scout' mode to see a little further, but it doesn't allow to see much more. Then, in combat, it becomes a more traditional isometric TB combat. If I had to summarize my general impression, I'd say it feels quite cheap.

It's mostly a personal taste though; I think it can still be a fun small indie game to pass the time. But if I wanted a good, recent stealth tactical game with humour and extravagant characters, I'd choose Shadow Gambit over this one without hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom