Age of Wonders 4 - Dev Diary #23

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Couchpotato spotted the dev diary #23 for Age of Wonder 4:

Dev Diary #23: Empires & Ashes - Reavers

Hello everyone, yesterday we announced Empires and Ashes, the new expansion for Age of Wonders 4!

We have a lot to tell you about, so we're going to split it between 2 dev diaries. To begin with, Michelle and Thomas are going to start talking about the story being the expansion and the new culture, the Reavers!

Story Realms

I'm Michelle, a narrative designer at Triumph, and I'm here to immerse you in the thrilling content of Empires and Ashes. Today, I'm excited to unveil two new Story Realms!

You may remember the human dreadnought Edward Portsmith. A stalwart defender of the Commonwealth Empire in Age of Wonders 3, he, alongside the Elven heroine Sundren and the sorceress Laryssa Mirabilis, united the diverse peoples of Athla against a common nemesis: the Shadowborn who schemed towards Athla's impending doom. Despite the valiant efforts of these Torchbearers, the Seals protecting Athla were shattered, plunging the realm into chaos as countless of its defenders vanished into the Astral Sea.

[...]
More information.

They can release all the DLC they want it will never feel like a Age of Wonders game. Since they decided to forgo campaigns, and focus on making it more of a 4X game this time.

Funny how it's now hailed as the best game in the series from so called fans.🧐

Is someone here still playing this game?

I grew tired of it pretty soon after the release. Should do a revisit at some point, however.

I've not even tried it yet... I wanna hope it'll be great but I'm hesitant of being disappointed again after PlanetFall. I'm sad there aren't more fantasy 4x games coming out these days... too many sci-fi ones imo.

And in the case of AoW, after playing PlanetFall, I'm not certain it was a good idea for Triumph to move the series into more 4x territory. For example, I love many of the HoMM games, but wouldn't want them to ever have morphed into more 4x experiences. I think Triumph would have been better served to focus on building out more narrative and campaign parts of the formula.

But I'll play this at some point.

I think it is an ok to good game, but not really an AoW game.

I didn't like the lack of a campaign, and also that you didn't have your own type of core units, like in the other AoW games when playing a certain faction.

Back
Top Bottom