Non-RPG General News - Galactic Civilizations IV leaves Early Access on October 19

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Henriquejr spotted that Galactic Civilizations IV leaves Early Access on October 19:

Release Day Livestream for Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova

Join us to celebrate the release of Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova and 30 years of Stardock!

Galactic Civilizations IV: Supernova releases on October 19th, 2023 at 1PM Est. Join us for a release day livestream event where we will play the game; talk about what's new, create a new civilization with AlienGPT, provide tips on managing Core Worlds, navigate the tech tree, create a custom ship and tap into some additional midgame content.

See you on October 19th!
More information.

Hmm...this game is very hard to keep track of it's development as it already fully released on the Epic Store, and then launched under EA on Steam with a different name?:unsure:

Stardock burned bridges with me and others due to their bulls*#t DLC scam on Steam. They charged current owners of the game full price for DLC, but allowed "new" owners a discount package with all of the DLC included. It was quite a controversy.

I'd been a fan since the first GalCiv and Fallen Enchantress. Now, I'll never buy another game from them.

I'd been a fan since the first GalCiv and Fallen Enchantress. Now, I'll never buy another game from them.
Just wait for all the DLC to show up, then buy the batch.

Hmm...this game is very hard to keep track of it's development as it already fully released on the Epic Store, and then launched under EA on Steam with a different name?:unsure:
It's not quite the same game, but more of a rework with included expansion. The early impressions are positive, but since that probably is from diehard fans I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Stardock burned bridges with me and others due to their bulls*#t DLC scam on Steam. They charged current owners of the game full price for DLC, but allowed "new" owners a discount package with all of the DLC included. It was quite a controversy.

I never heard of this. I didn't buy GalCiv 4 due to mediocre reviews, so maybe that's why.

Personally I think their last great game was GalCiv 2 with expansions and the other games I played were only quite good.

Just wait for all the DLC to show up, then buy the batch.
It's principle, now =not buying. Plus, GalCiv 4 looks almost exactly like GalCiv 3. Same clunky art style, even. It's just like the Tropico series, where they (forget that developer) released 2-3 sequels that were basically the same game with some minor graphics tweaks. Except now, you'll need to wait 2-3 years of GalCiv 4 DLC to make the same game they have now with GalCiv 3.

Except now, you'll need to wait 2-3 years of GalCiv 4 DLC to make the same game they have now with GalCiv 3.
Normally I would know what that means but, with GalCiv 3, it seemed like the game had altered something fundamental every time I played it. I'm not sure where it ended up. (At this point, I would rather play a game of Age of Wonders.)

Normally I would know what that means but, with GalCiv 3, it seemed like the game had altered something fundamental every time I played it. I'm not sure where it ended up. (At this point, I would rather play a game of Age of Wonders.)
It's one of those situations where they release a very basic game, and then they trickle out features via DLC for several years that were already included in previous versions. Right now, Galactic Civilizations 3 is a complete game ...after several years of DLC.

They are basically starting over with this money-milking process for a "new" game that looks basically the same as the previous installment. I can tell you from experience with Stardock that GalCiv 4 will not be a complete game for at least 3 years.

Having watched a bit let's play I'm actually feeling a bit positive about the state of the game from launch. I don't have enough time to play it for a long time, so I won't buy it right now, but I probably will eventually.

Back
Top Bottom