05:50 What Happens Now
07:03 Initial Sequel Plans
07:45 Microsoft Open To IP Revivals
09:33 Gauging Interest
11:20 Wrapping Up
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

This reply is from another thread about Tim Cain which fits this news-post.^^
I think he mentions in one of his videos that he still has the source code and that he managed to compile it recently. It would be cool if he could be convinced to negotiate the tangle of publishing rights and release an improved version.

top dream. ty

wasw listening to tim and leo interview the other day. they seem like gods agents , getting these blessings

This literally could measure up to be the tease of the year. Although I'd love to actually see a sequel, it would also have to be good, not just some janky thing with a great name attached.

Yeah like most news nowadays. Video is still interesting at least.

Also allows us to bicker like old men. :biggrin:

I thought the original was a janky mess that promised way more than it delivered. Not that keen on a sequel.

I thought the original was a janky mess that promised way more than it delivered. Not that keen on a sequel.
I was blown away by it, but I also had zero expectations at the time. I actually never finished it due to really bad skill picks leading to not being able to finish some fights. Some.bugs also messed up things.

If there ever was a sequel I'd be somewhat excited about it :)

I think it's fair to say it was a janky mess at release, but there's a reason it became a cult classic. The setting is superb and hasn't been surpassed by another steampunk game still to this day.

If you take the time to install the right tweaks and patches, a lot of the jankiness can be removed. I consider it a must-play if you like isometric RPGs. For me, it's on the same level as Fallout 1-2.

Some good memories there. If they're thinking about rescuing the game, I rather they made a new thing using modern assets and tech than a half-baked "enhanced edition" that will sell a few copies out of nostalgia at most.

The question is: what would people want this game to be and look like? It's one thing to have the IP but another to content people who loved that game more than 20 years ago and have good memories of it.

I also wonder why Mortismal is hammering on the fact the original devs are busy on other things. It's not as if a few employees of several studios could decide to work together on a game just because their respective studios are subsidiaries of Microsoft. I'd rather think a studio has to be interested in making a sequel (or a remake since the code and assets are available), get the green light, and set a team on it.

Back
Top Bottom