Dark Envoy - Gameplay

Just waiting for this one to release to begin playing it immediately. If only it is anything like Tower of Time, I foresee many good hours of entertainment.

For those who might be interested in watching.^^

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2hPDsWqBXc
It's time for us to learn the story of Malakai and Kaela, the famous relic hunters in Dark Envoy. It all starts with the Guardians Of The Desert quest walkthrough, where we have to visit Temple Of The Ancients, solve puzzle of the ancients and fight the construct (boss). The adventure will be exciting. Enjoy!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7UK2GIlFYI
Tower of Time is a story-rich isometric party-based crpg with innovative real-time combat that lets you slow time. In my review I will tell you about the things that I really liked in the game. Immerse yourself in a world where technology meets magic with devastating consequences. Personally, I was very impressed with the game.

Tower of Time really overstayed it's welcome for me. The first 40-50% of the game is enjoyable then it just becomes far too repetitive i.e. same enemy types, same combat maps, same abilities, same tactics - over and over again. That would be okay if there was more content outside of the combat but there wasn't.

edit: it looks like they have improved the combat map problem by having the combat happen on the actual map - a great improvement.

Last edited:
Tower of Time really overstayed it's welcome for me. The first 40-50% of the game is enjoyable then it just becomes far too repetitive i.e. same enemy types, same combat maps, same abilities, same tactics - over and over again. That would be okay if there was more content outside of the combat but there wasn't.
I came here to post exactly this. According to GOG-Galaxy I played it for 41 hours, ans I remember that the last 10-15 hours really were a drag. The story was quite interesting, though pretty despressing.

I only clicked through the first video, but what I saw looked pretty interesting. I will keep an eye on this one.

I came here to post exactly this. According to GOG-Galaxy I played it for 41 hours, ans I remember that the last 10-15 hours really were a drag. The story was quite interesting, though pretty despressing.

I only clicked through the first video, but what I saw looked pretty interesting. I will keep an eye on this one.
I'm concerned how each character seems to only be able to have 4 abilities available at a time - just like ToT. When you only have 4 abilities it limits tactical possibilities somewhat. Compare that to something like BG3/PoE2 where most classes can easily have 10+ abilities as well as a vast array of items to use.

I'm concerned how each character seems to only be able to have 4 abilities available at a time - just like ToT. When you only have 4 abilities it limits tactical possibilities somewhat. Compare that to something like BG3/PoE2 where most classes can easily have 10+ abilities as well as a vast array of items to use.
I agree and I never have understanded this approach. I think you could slowly increase the number of abilities from 4, to 5, to 6 or 7 or so over the last stretch of game rather than capping progression at the 50% mark.

You played for a lot longer than I did. I think I quite after 3-4 hours. I got the game for free on GOG and gave it a spin because I had seen some people praising it. I'm not sure what they were praising to be honest. I found it average in every way.

It's true, the game got a bit redundant towards the last half. What kept me playing it until the end was mostly that the challenge was quite tight, and every combat felt good to beat. The boss fights were pretty nicely designed too, and made for a great tactical challenge in many cases.

The exploration and story were decent, but if combat had been trivial I most likely wouldn't have managed to finish the game.

Sure it was quite redundant in several ways, yet most of the named encounters varied greatly and you had to adapt to that. Again it certainly wouldn't rank in my top fifty games of all time yet I did play from start to finish and don't consider the time wasted.

I was kinda "meh" on ToT too. I grew bored of it after about 15 or 20 hours or so... felt too repetitive. Still, I'll keep an eye on this new game.

16 gigs of RAM minimum? Sheesh.
Not as bad as Galactic Civ 4 which needs 32GB for best results.

Seems requirements are going up fast in the last few months.

Not as bad as Galactic Civ 4 which needs 32GB for best results.

Seems requirements are going up fast in the last few months.
"Best results" being the key phrase. 16 gigs in the minimum listed for Dark Envoy. Every game wants more RAM if you have it, but I haven't seen a minimum that high for AAA games.

So, 2.5 hours in, I'm quite enjoying the game. Very early impressions, of course, but the combat challenges so far are great, and the fact that you can customize each character with 4 different classes and several different specializations within each class, and then different playstyles within each specialization, as the way you spread your stats can change the way your character plays, is all good in my book.

I'll have a more elaborate opinion when I hit around the 20-hour mark, but so far it seems like a step up from Tower of Time in every aspect, including graphics, gameplay, plot setup/premise, voice acting, replayability, personalization/customization, fun.. in short, for now I can't think of anything Tower of Time did better than dark Envoy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom