Underrail - Heavy Duty DLC now available

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The Heavy Duty DLC for Underrail is now available on GOG and Steam.

Description:

This DLC adds three new weapon types - grenade launchers, machine guns and miniguns, as well as a special high-level side mission that will challenge even the most hardcore UnderRail veterans.

Key features:

- New skill "Heavy Weapons" which covers two new weapon types - machine guns and miniguns
- Grenade launchers, a area of effect type weapon, added to Guns skill
- New high-level side mission where you'll fight against elite enemies
- New feats
More information.

So I guess when I waited until 2020 to play this game, which was 5 years after release and after the expeditions DLC, I still didn't wait long enough... I really enjoyed this game, but after probably 300 hours to finish, I won't be going back to play this. But I'm really looking forward to the sequel!

Well written game with great combat, setting, crafting and player progression, with the worst last act ever invented. The deep caverns ruin this game.

Well written game with great combat, setting, crafting and player progression, with the worst last act ever invented. The deep caverns ruin this game.
I haven't played this yet (it's been in my queue for years), but can you elaborate? Is the last act too empty? Full of filler trash mobs?

I haven't played this yet (it's been in my queue for years), but can you elaborate? Is the last act too empty? Full of filler trash mobs?
No it was talked about before in past years on other threads your not allowed to save in the last area so if you die you have to restart the same area once again.

It doesn't help the game makes the ending fight to hard by design it's frustrating.

Here this reddit thread elaborates.

Last edited:
No it was talked about before in past years on other threads your not allowed to save in the the last area so if you die you have to restart the same area once again.

It doesn't help the game makes the ending fight to hard by design it's frustrating.
Oh, that's not good. Maybe I'll just play up til that point then cheat to see the ending. :p

At least he added a better map as well. It was to easy to get lost before he patched it in. I remember literally spending hours just trying to find my next objectives.

Last edited:
Afaik, the main issue people have with the final area is that it's a point of no return and that there's no warning beforehand. Once you descend into the Deep Caverns, you can't go back to where the game had taken place up to that point without reloading an earlier save. It's also quite a large area.

It's been quite a while when I played Underrail (I did play it twice, reaching the Deep Caverns during those plays).

The game is excellent, until it isn't. I have been playing games for almost 40 years and I have never seen such a drastic drop in quality/content in a game.

The deep caverns are a point of no return map, and it's huge. You don't get a warning beforehand that you won't be coming back. In my first save, I fell for that trap and was completely unprepared.

The Deep Caverns are completely different from the rest of the game, much to the worst. It turns all the mechanics you have been learning since the beginning of the game upside down:

- There's incessant respawning, limited resources for you to cope with the respawning (this problem is compounded by the fact that what you have to do in this area is a huge fetch quest, full of back and forth between the maps);

- Very vague and esoteric clues as to what you should be doing, which makes you run all over the place trying to figure it out, but not in a fun way as your resources are not replenished;

- This map comprises about 1/3 of the game, but it's devoid of any meaningful interactions, lore or anything else that made the other 2/3 so great. It's really just you trying to avoid the endless respawns, doing that imbecile fetch quest, unable to come back to the surface and facing a very difficult boss in the end, only to witness an anticlimatic ending.

- One of the worst sins of the Deep Caverns is that it strongly favors one type of build, and one only, which is stealth. The game fosters dozens of combinations and archetypes, only to make it much easier for that one build, and almost impossible to some others.

There is much that has been talked about the Deep Caverns, 90% in a negative way. Off the top of my head, this is what I remember. It's especially sad as throughout the game, it makes you imagine the Deep Caverns as such a cool place to explore and it falls completely flat in the end.

Back
Top Bottom