RPG General News - The Story of Alternate Reality

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
MetaStatistical looks back at Alternate Reality:

The Story of Alternate Reality: A Game Series Too Ahead of its Time

The full story of Alternate Reality, a Computer RPG series from 1985, which inspired many ideas and many more fans.
More information.

The fact they even attempted this back then was a marvel.

Great insights there - I hadn't known about the story behind that at all. Never had Dungeon, but I still have a copy of City sitting around. Weird game, from today's perspective, but so promising and ambitious back there, and also deeply disappointing because it was so incomplete!
Not that I would've noticed, myself, back then. Every second game on those pirated disks was broken, and you just booted stuff up trying to figure them out. AR I must've simply bounced off of hard.
But now, I see what might've been. O vey!

I always thought it was cool that there were exits in AR: THE CITY that would lead into the sequel, AR: THE DUNGEON.

Not that I would've noticed, myself, back then. Every second game on those pirated disks was broken, and you just booted stuff up trying to figure them out. AR I must've simply bounced off of hard.
Well you wouldn't have gotten very far with a pirated copy of this game. He mentions the copyright protection it had at 11:28. Ingenious and pretty funny. :)

My idea is similar. Waylay the story by introducing a new enemy race that will begin to chase you. Story then forks away to completely differ with unique events for pirates. :D :D Then if someone on Steam or on other forums begins asking if anybody has a solution for this and that super-hard battle / dungeon, the legal owners will wonder, WTH the pirate is talking about! :D

Somebody else remembers this game!?

He's got a real good point at the end. The way technology was advancing, it would have been very hard to keep all those planned games working with the original.

P.S. Give me lyrics to sing along with, modern games!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom