Lords of the Fallen - Best Soulsborne of 2023 @ RPG Informer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPG Informer thinks that Lords of the Fallen is the best Soulsborne of 2023:

Why Lords of the Fallen Is The Best Soulsborne of 2023

The Soulsborne genre has become one of the most popular in the gaming industry, and each year, an unknown company likes to throw its hat into the ring for the chance to be the next Dark Souls. So many fall by the wayside in their attempts, with Steel Rising, Mortal Shell, and The Surge springing to mind, but still, companies try and try.

With Elden Ring releasing in 2022, the bar got set even higher for what this genre can provide, so for any Soulsborne that released in 2023, they had quite the act to follow. There were handfuls of contenders this year, and each of them had something unique to offer.

The top contenders for best of the bunch are Jedi: Survivor, Remnant 2, and Lies of P. Of those, Lies of P was the critical and commercial darling, while Remnant 2 stood out among the other two for being the most unique variant. Compared to Lords of the Fallen, though? Neither measures up, not in graphics design, not in tone, not in exploration, and not in combat. At least, in my humble opinion.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Yeah, it's an interesting choice for sure. I bounced off hard, but some people really seem to like it.

Out of the top contenders he mentions, I suspect I would like LotF the least even though I haven't even tried Remnant 2 or Jedi: Survivor (not a true souls game imo) yet. I enjoyed the first games in those series.

Thought that Lies of Pi would win by a landslide in every soulslike vote.

For me, Lords of the Fallen is indeed game of the year. The first few or 10 hours of this game do not reflect the incredible scale of the world and design of this game. I find it incredible that a new studio can pull off a game that matches and in many ways overtakes a From Software Dark Souls-type game.

However the developers have, in a way, shot themselves in the foot with this ambitious project, due to the poor performance of the game which is a real shame.

Mostly that you can choose your difficulty. A true souls game only offers the difficulty that the devs designed it for.
I'll add that in addition to that I feel the overall design in Jedi was more forgiving to begin with, and then yes, you have difficulty settings. I'm not a big souls fan but found Jedi very enjoyable.

Having read the article, I can't really agree with a lot of the things he says are positives, but he may be right.

Lotf doesn't need to be the best game in order to be the best soulsbourne game. It does feel much more like a soul's game than the others, in graphics, atmosphere, builds, weapons, armor and combat.

Problem is it feels more like demon souls or DS1 than the much more refined elden ring. I still had a lot of fun with it, but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

Back
Top Bottom