Fextralife - The Game Awards 2023

I was a little confused by the ongoing game award going to cyberpunk. I'm not sure releasing a game in an almost broken state and then fixing it should be worthy of an award.

Especially given that they are likely done with the game now.

I noticed Swen in that armor in the crowd. BG3 kept winning awards, but they were awards that kept Swen in his seat! Finally, at the end of the show, they got him up on stage.

Bold move to come in armour. :D

I'm still surprised to see the best performance going to Neil Newbon, as I found it rather forced and unnatural - almost unnerving.

I liked the little insert about more BG3 content coming to the channel. That was subtle. ;)

C2077 is definitely a top tier game and an excellent choice for an award. Even with the rocky start it was always a gem and now its been polished into something even better. It's one of my favorite games, up there with BG3, WOTR, Skyrim, and FO4.

I was a little confused by the ongoing game award going to cyberpunk. I'm not sure releasing a game in an almost broken state and then fixing it should be worthy of an award.
If you think all they've done is fix bugs, I can understand your confusion.

Hmm..the awards weren't really the point though it was more like E3 Winter. The host was more focused on the trailers and announcements then award ceromony.

I liked the little insert about more BG3 content coming to the channel. That was subtle. ;)
Announce the expansion or sequel Swen. Seriously BG3 made gaming history and made him billions. He'd be a fool not to capitalize on the games success.:unsure:

C2077 is definitely a top tier game and an excellent choice for an award. Even with the rocky start it was always a gem and now its been polished into something even better. It's one of my favorite games, up there with BG3, WOTR, Skyrim, and FO4.
You must have had a much better experience than I did at release. I had brain dead AI, cops spawning right in front of me, getting stuck in the environment or even falling through it, and NPC's frozen like mannequins talking to me. That's just off the top of my head, not great for a game that emphasizes immersion.

My contention isn't that it couldn't have become a good or even great game (I'll find out when I play it). I just don't think the spirit of an ongoing game award should be releasing a game in a poor state and then fixing it and releasing 1 paid DLC. Imo they released the game then finished it and released a DLC. If that's what the award is going for then BG3 should win that one too as they're ongoing content was the final 2/3rd of a game that was game of the year.

Just my opinion and I'm not trying to slight the game as I haven't been able to give it a play through yet, but I just wouldn't consider it an ongoing game.

@JDR13 If I'm missing something let me know. As far as I know they've been fixing the game to get it closer to what they promised it to be at release and then released the DLC.

BG3 won every revelant award so the press gave a consolation award to CDPR. Nothing wrong with that and yes it was well deserved with how much they fixed.

Starfield and Hogwarts were both snubbed but everyone knows why.

Last edited:
My point still stands. So as they say sorry not sorry.:cool:

Though sorry I misunderstood your post.

@JDR13 If I'm missing something let me know. As far as I know they've been fixing the game to get it closer to what they promised it to be at release and then released the DLC.
They've done a lot more than just fix things that were broken. There's been tons of tweaks to better balance the gameplay. They've continued to improved the AI in multiple ways beyond just fixing where it was broken. Performance improvements. A complete overhaul of the character system. Continual visual improvements. Additional player control over the HUD and improved UI. Adding new features to the environment. i.e. the metro system. Those are some of the things I can think of, but there's probably a lot more.

It doesn't excuse that the game wasn't ready to be released when it was, but it goes far beyond what the vast majority of developers provide for post-release support.

They've done a lot more than just fix things that were broken. There's been tons of tweaks to better balance the gameplay. They've continued to improved the AI in multiple ways beyond just fixing where it was broken. Performance improvements. A complete overhaul of the character system. Continual visual improvements. Additional player control over the HUD and improved UI. Adding new features to the environment. i.e. the metro system. Those are some of the things I can think of, but there's probably a lot more.

It doesn't excuse that the game wasn't ready to be released when it was, but it goes far beyond what the vast majority of developers provide for post-release support.
Yeah, I'm aware of those things. To me though other than the metro system they are all things that should have been fixed to bring the game closer to what was advertised pre-release. If they have gone above and beyond that then maybe I stand corrected, but Most of what they released wouldn't even have been necessary had they released the game in the state they wanted to. I still feel the award should be given to a game that was released in a good state and then supported with new content. As you said though many developers would have done much less. So I think they deserve kudos, but not an award.

Who knows though maybe I'll play it and it will be so good that I change my tune. Not that it matters though since no one invited me to be on the jury who votes anyways. :LOL:

Yeah, I'm aware of those things. To me though other than the metro system they are all things that should have been fixed to bring the game closer to what was advertised pre-release. If they have gone above and beyond that then maybe I stand corrected, but Most of what they released wouldn't even have been necessary had they released the game in the state they wanted to. I still feel the award should be given to a game that was released in a good state and then supported with new content. As you said though many developers would have done much less.
I'm not sure how you figure stuff like overhauling the perk system and adding more options to the HUD/UI are just fixing things, but ok.
So I think they deserve kudos, but not an award.
Fair enough. Of the games listed, who do think should have won it? All the other games are MMOs and/or gacha.

Imo, it should be two separate awards. One for single-player and one for multiplayer/MMOs.

Back
Top Bottom