System Shock - Best Remake of 2023

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer's favourite remake of 2023 is System Shock:

Best Remake 2023: System Shock

Nightdive gracefully delves into the archives.

Despite tough competition, Nightdive's recreation of the Looking Glass classic was our favourite remake of the year. For more awards, head to our Game of the Year 2023 page.

Robert Jones, Print Editor: Nightdive Studios absolutely knocked it out of the park with the System Shock remake, somehow achieving the near impossible balancing act of remaining incredibly faithful to the groundbreaking original game, which is considered the grandfather of the immersive sim genre, while also totally overhauling many of the original game's now antiquated systems. And it did this despite making the tough decision to reboot this remake totally during development, too. But it is testament to the dedication and skill of Nightdive's devs that it pulled it off and delivered a game that today has 'Very Positive' review scores on Steam from literally thousands and thousands of PC gamers.

Ted Litchfield, Associate Editor: I knew Looking Glass Studios' 1994 classic by reputation alone when I dove into the System Shock remake, so it speaks to both the timelessness of these largely-unchanged maps and Nightdive's incredible work modernizing the gameplay that I loved every minute of it.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Nightdive did a great job with System Shock. I wonder what other games were even considered. I can't think of any other remakes in 2023 that stood out.

My system shock in steam isn´t working. As some other games. I played a little in my old PC and was loving it. I think I´ll downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10 to see if it solves the problem. Hope they pick Deus Ex and/or System Shock 2 in a future project.

My system shock in steam isn´t working. As some other games. I played a little in my old PC and was loving it. I think I´ll downgrade from Windows 11 to Windows 10 to see if it solves the problem.
The remake? I'll install it later and see if I have any issues. I haven't played it since getting my new PC which has Win 11.

Hope they pick Deus Ex and/or System Shock 2 in a future project.
You know about System Shock 2: Enhanced Edition, right? It's not a remake, but it might be the next best thing.

Back
Top Bottom