Steam - Awards 2023

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
These games have won the Steam Awards 2023:

PRESENTING YOUR WINNERS!

The community has spoken! Your votes throughout the Steam Winter Sale have chosen these games below as winners of the 2023 Steam Awards!

• Game of the Year Award: Baldur's Gate 3
  • VR Game of the Year Award: Labyrinthine
  • Labor of Love Award: Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Best Game on Steam Deck Award: Hogwarts Legacy
  • Better With Friends Award: Lethal Company
  • Outstanding Visual Style Award: Atomic Heart
  • Most Innovative Gameplay Award: Starfield
  • Best Game You Suck At Award: Sifu
  • Best Soundtrack Award: The Last of Us Part I
  • Outstanding Story-Rich Game Award: Baldur's Gate 3
  • Sit Back and Relax Award: DAVE THE DIVER
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

How on Earth did Starfield win the most innovative gameplay award?

Apart from the story loop, there was little innovative about it. Same formula than in Skyrim...
Haha yeah that seems really odd.

It's innovative because you must buy an AMD GPU to play it. Possibly even a new computer, according to Todd. ;)

Labor of Love for RDR 2 is funny, too. Or perhaps it's ironic, because they haven't done anything for years, and their support is just a farce. It's a good game, but I don't think it has its place in a 2023 award.

I guess people mistook it for RDR Online.

Labor of Love for RDR 2 is funny, too. Or perhaps it's ironic, because they haven't done anything for years, and their support is just a farce. It's a good game, but I don't think it has its place in a 2023 award.
Well, it was ahead of its time. Even now it chugs on most systems, so maybe people think Rockstar is still adding content. :)

Wow ... I honestly play on my Steam Deck every single day and never even knew there were votes happening.

I feel like all of these lists are wrong, but there are some where you can key on a single thing that makes them an absolute joke - and Starfield as 'innovative' is exactly that. Different people here have had different levels of 'fun' with Starfield, but I have NEVER seen the word innovative used - and for good reason!

Speaking of Steam Deck, I can't speak to how Hogwarts played on it (because F JKR) ... but I definitely know that BG3 would NOT be 'best on Steam Deck' - it works well enough but is more of a compromise even than Solasta. For me, Cyberpunk would be my "Deck Stand Out" - controls are amazing, performance is solid 60FPS and the visuals are excellent (again I am looking at a 7.4" screen!).

Not surprised by the winners as it's based on votes by Steam users.

Only award that was surprising was Starfield but hey better then nothing.

Well I played exactly one of those games in 2023 :)

It's innovative because you must buy an AMD GPU to play it. Possibly even a new computer, according to Todd. ;)

I guess people mistook it for RDR Online.
Well sorry to say your correct. As hey made billions off re-releaseing two games with an added online version over the last decade, and made billions in record profit.

Don't blame them though blame those who bought multiple copies and online DLC.

How on Earth did Starfield win the most innovative gameplay award?

Apart from the story loop, there was little innovative about it. Same formula than in Skyrim...
This is why I don't take these awards seriously.

Probably people felt sorry for Starfield and voted for it, but they could not fit it to any relevant category so they chose innovative. Otherwise, Bethesda spent quite a lot of money somehow to get Starfield in the Steam Awards.

You mean that retro game from way back in 2011?? ;)
Probably people felt sorry for Starfield and voted for it...
If they did, it backfired hard. Starfield got review-bombed after the award came out.

This is starting to remind me of Dragon Age 2 - another so-so game treated like it was the crime of the century.

Yep people have nothing better to do then review bomb games nowadays. It's amazing none of the review sites take action against it's users when this happens.

I had a solid 80 hours of fun in Starfield but I wouldn't call it innovative :D. Still, it recieves more flack then it deserves, imo.

I see in Steam's forums that people are as baffled as me about RDR2. It's a poor choice of finalists, and people must have voted for the game they knew and liked the most. For example, if they had allowed to choose Cyberpunk 2077, it would surely have won this one. For Starfield, maybe it's more the case of being in the least unlikely category where there wasn't any competition. Looking at the other finalists, I only know Remnant 2, and I'm not sure it's more innovative.

'Labour of Love' is a relevant and interesting category, where it's possible to find good candidates each year, provided we're allowed to vote for them. But 'Most Innovative Gameplay' is a lost cause. AAA games don't want to be innovative; they want a recipe that works.

I doubt that people really look at the category, though. They just look at the games.

I'm so confused about why RDR2 won Labor of Love, it's genuinely THE least supported rockstar game to date, It's a great game. but I'd rather have it not win an award it didn't deserve, I think Deep Rock Galactic is the clear winner, as that game has brand new content being added almost constantly, but yet the singleplayer game that's infamous for lacking the DLC that its predecessor had, is the one that gets 'Labor of love'

I'm also baffled how Starfield won most innovative game of the year, every mechanic that's in it is one that's been done before and better by other games (Incl. Bethesda's own games) and the only novelty within it was the fact that Starfield had all of them, but done poorly.

Happy to see the consensus surrounding these games though, At least the Steam Awards didn't pocket any publisher money in order to get a game to win an award, as each winner is selected solely through user votes (bare minimum I know but this is the stage we're at)

I'm also baffled how Starfield won most innovative game of the year, every mechanic that's in it is one that's been done before and better by other games (Incl. Bethesda's own games) and the only novelty within it was the fact that Starfield had all of them, but done poorly.
I wouldn't say they were all done poorly. Some things, like combat, are an improvement over their past games. I agree about the award being baffling though.

I wouldn't say they were all done poorly. Some things, like combat, are an improvement over their past games.
Oh for sure but there were still things that should've been improved but weren't, what I meant by "done poorly" is the elements that other games have done excellently, the biggest examples being space exploration, space mining, questing, A.I etc.

These are things that should've been improved as we've had several generations to refine and hone these things down and there are dozens of games to draw inspiration from and innovate yet Starfield mostly did the bare minimum required for these things to be noted, the fact that it took dozens of games for Bethesda to realize that vaulting says a lot and it's what I've should said originally lol

Back
Top Bottom