Arcanum - Thoughts on a Remake

While I'd love to see a remake I guess the bottom line literally will be who's gonna put up the jam and pay to get it done? I'm certain they'd make the money back yet someone has to first step up and take the risk. Kick starter is an option, that route might be safest if a solid team gets behind the effort.

There's a couple games coming up that are at least Arcanum-inspired (magical world struggling not to be trampled by technology and industrialization): Sovereign Syndicate and New Arc Line.

Nod, and that's a nice positive, for sure. Aping games like Arcanum is a great way to walk into an appreciative audience already hungry for your game.

I like everything he talks about doing except for the part about adding procedurally generated locations. That's the one thing I wouldn't want.

Also, he mentions Arcanum having multiplayer. I don't even remember that.

Ideally I would like it like BG3, so that means co-op as well.

And while I'm dreaming I'd hope that any remake rebalances the classes to make them more fun to play. An Arcanum remake would hopefully be turn-based only. I'm not a fan of mixed mode and the compromises that would (likely) create.

My guess is the rights to Arcanum would be prohibitively expensive. But to do a (spiritual) sequel I question whether one really needs the rights. There isn't really memorable companions in Arcanum like Minsc from BG. Just make a spiritual successor. It can have a nearly identical setting and ruleset, you just can't call it Arcanum.

My guess is the rights to Arcanum would be prohibitively expensive. But to do a (spiritual) sequel I question whether one really needs the rights. There isn't really memorable companions in Arcanum like Minsc from BG. Just make a spiritual successor. It can have a nearly identical setting and ruleset, you just can't call it Arcanum.
Yeah, nobody owns steampunk as a concept. InXile is already making an "Arcanum" of sorts in that regard.

Years ago I would have laughed but Microsoft now owns the publisher who just sat on the IP for decades. Question is why should they as these type of games are niche.

Though BG3 has shown they can still sell well once in a decade.

Yeah, nobody owns steampunk as a concept. InXile is already making an "Arcanum" of sorts in that regard.
True but that game is more of a shooter RPG with time travel. New Arc Line looks a lot more of a sequel, but I still can't figure out how the combat works in that game.

First it was TB, then Action, and finally some type of hybrid system?

True but that game is more of a shooter RPG with time travel. New Arc Line looks a lot more of a sequel, but I still can't figure out how the combat works in that game.

First it was TB, then Action, and finally some type of hybrid system?
Developers said it will be RTwP.

Developers said it will be RTwP.
Yeah but the website said a mix of combat and the latest PR statement said Turn-based. The original alpha version was similar to Arcanum but was changed as well.

So like I said it's hard to tell as it's been changed every few years.

Yeah but the website said a mix of combat and the latest PR statement said Turn-based. The original alpha version was similar to Arcanum but was changed as well.

So like I said it's hard to tell as it's been changed every few years.
Right, now I see that their most recent statements say it is turn-based. Perhaps they changed their mind seeing the success of BG3. ::shrugs::

New Arc Line is definitely turn-based. I'm on their Discord channel. I'm still considering being an Alpha/Beta tester for the game.
I'm on there, too. In 2022 they were telling me it was RTWP though it used to be turn-based in early iterations. Now very recently they're saying it is turn-based again.

It was also over-the-shoulder 3rd person perspective but they've more recently announced switching to a more top down / isometric perspective.

Back
Top Bottom