Pillars of Eternity - New Patch

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Pillars of Eternity got a new patch which is currently in the public beta phase:

Patch 3.4.1340 in Public Beta

Greetings Watchers!

It has been a long time since we spoke, but I come bearing good news. We have just released a new patch for Pillars of Eternity on the beta branch for Steam.

Please let us know if you run into any issues during your time with this updated version of the game.

To access the Beta branch on Steam, please follow these steps:

1. In your Steam Library Right click on Pillars of Eternity, and select "Properties"
  2. Select the "Beta" Tab, and click the Drop Down for labeled "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", and instead select "Beta - Public Beta branch for upcoming patches"
  3. Close the Window, and you should have a download ready. Attempting to play the game should automatically trigger the download.
How to switch back on Steam:

To switch back and opt out of all betas, simply repeat the Steps above, but select "None - Opt out of all Betas" from the drop down list in Step 3.

Patch Notes:

[...]

More information.

I appreciate greatly that they continue their support, but this is quite ridiculous. The last patch dates from 2017 or 2018, I think?

It's actually a decent size patch. Maybe some of the guys were just bored and did it in their free time?

General:

• We have updated to Unity Version 2019.4.11.
Navigation:

• Fixed areas that could not be navigated in numerous scenes.
  • The lake in Cayron's Scar should no longer be unintentionally traversable when submerged.

Visual and Audio:

• Fixed multiple cases where characters might T-Pose briefly at the beginning of a cutscene.
  • Fixed an issue where paperdolls in character creation and inventory screens might appear blurry.
  • Overwhelming Wave should more reliably play its visual effects.
  • Fixed VFX issues with the Woodskin spell rotating or attaching incorrectly.
  • Symbols western chamber of Lle a Rhemen should now properly light up when expected.
  • Fixed redundant horn audio playing after the battle of Yenwood.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to open locked containers could play multiple voice lines at once.
  • Fixed a handful of cases where dialogue audio wouldn’t play when certain nodes were re-triggered.
Quests and Dialogue:

• Ready the Cannons side quest should now properly update its objectives.
  • Dialogue from Buried Secrets quest should no longer allow the player to demand their payment more than once.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple barked lines in Gilded Vale could overlap excessively.
  • Fixed an issue where Eder’s bark lines in the Temple of Eothas may end abruptly.
  • Fixed a case where Calisca could trigger the wrong bark line near the camp inside Cilant Lîs.
Combat and Mechanics:

• Earth Blights should no longer sometimes detach from their selection circles when dominated.
  • Scroll of Ray of Fire should now appear correctly and more accurately match the behavior of the Ray of Fire spell.
  • Fixed a case where manually resolving stronghold combat could sometimes yield no rewards.
  • Fixed a case where prone characters might try to move while prone, resulting in sliding behavior.
  • Concelhaut’s Draining Missiles should no longer occasionally show 0.0 damage in the combat log.
  • Weapon Specialization: Peasant should now reliably add its damage to unarmed attacks.
  • Fixed some cases where the Halt spell might confuse enemy AI, causing them to repeatedly interrupt and re-attempt their own actions.
  • Removed errant untargetable Xaurip that could sometimes appear in Dyrford Crossing.
  • Fixed a case where Sleafhota might teleport to an alternate location mid-dialogue before attacking the player.
  • Attacking Osrya directly will now reliably engage with her revenant and skeleton minions.
  • Fixed a case where all survival camping bonuses might appear after spending only a single skill rank on Survival.
User Interface and Interaction:

• Fixed a UI issue where chants could sometimes clip beyond their scrolling frame.
  • Fixed a case where the damage type icon on the character sheet might not position correctly.
  • Fixed some cases where assigning companions to multiple stronghold missions at once might cause UI issues.
  • Quick loading with the crafting or enchanting UI open should no longer result in a permanent black screen.
  • Fixed a typo in the description of Animal Companions.
  • Fixed an issue where highlighting certain parts of a defeated enemy would not allow you to loot them.
  • Doors in some scenes that were difficult to interact with have had their collision revised and should now be more reliable.
  • Fixed a case where the final pressure plate in the Temple of Woedica would not appear.
  • Examining the wall trophy inside of Elm’s Reach should now be possible.
  • Skipping intros when first starting the client should now be more responsive.

Why is it ridiculous that someone would update an old game? If there is something to be fixed, then why not fix it? I don't see how the amount of time since the previous patch is relevant.

Why is it ridiculous that someone would update an old game? If there is something to be fixed, then why not fix it? I don't see how the amount of time since the previous patch is relevant.
Because its been years since the game was released and most of players have moved on (this is patch for PoE1 even, not PoE2). I don't think its a bad thing but would have been nice if it was releases much earlier.

Well it's good that they are still patching this game. Eventually I'll go back and give it another run, once I've forgotten most of the details. I just finished Deadfire on turn-based mode and it was pretty enjoyable, even with the clunky naval combat mini-game. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they will be making another isometric sequel for a while; hopefully Avowed will not disappoint.

"Stop. Who would cross the Bridge to Avowed must quash these bugs three, ere the other side he see."

I for one am glad this patch happened, as I tend to replay games quite often. Now at least I know it's safe to go back in the Pillar waters. Thanks to the devs for the work involved and thanks to the team here for letting us know.

Thinking about it I never had any issues with the current build of PoE.:unsure:

@purpleblob described what I was thinking very well. As I stated, I appreciate this very much, but the reason why a company should continue to support a game that probably hardly generates any income anymore is not apparent. If someone indeed did it in their spare time or as a side-product to a coming game, then that would be a reason I can understand. At least it keeps up the interest for the IP.

Josh claims it's due to Avowed being developed. Don't know how it helped.:unsure:
I also think it is this. They expect Avowed to be a success, people then trying the older games in the hopes they are not crap and then pave the way for a PoE III of some sort.

I also personally had no issues when I played the game yet I heard and read about plenty of folks that did. Anything done to address that is a boon to us all.

@purpleblob described what I was thinking very well. As I stated, I appreciate this very much, but the reason why a company should continue to support a game that probably hardly generates any income anymore is not apparent. If someone indeed did it in their spare time or as a side-product to a coming game, then that would be a reason I can understand. At least it keeps up the interest for the IP.
I don't see why it needs to be apparent. Why look a gift horse in the mouth? ;)

You're right there, I am probably a bit annoyed that I didn't play the final version, despite waiting several years before playing. And no, I don't have the time for a replay ;)

Josh claims it's due to Avowed being developed. Don't know how it helped.:unsure:
Perhaps they're expecting a surge in PoE sales when Avowed is about to be released, or they try to bootstrap it by showing they're still working on a game in the same setting? EDIT: I see Darkheart already said that.

... Or they simply played the game to remember about the lore and finally saw the bugs. ;)

Last edited:
It's actually a decent size patch. Maybe some of the guys were just bored and did it in their free time?

General:

• We have updated to Unity Version 2019.4.11.
Navigation:

• Fixed areas that could not be navigated in numerous scenes.
  • The lake in Cayron's Scar should no longer be unintentionally traversable when submerged.

Visual and Audio:

• Fixed multiple cases where characters might T-Pose briefly at the beginning of a cutscene.
  • Fixed an issue where paperdolls in character creation and inventory screens might appear blurry.
  • Overwhelming Wave should more reliably play its visual effects.
  • Fixed VFX issues with the Woodskin spell rotating or attaching incorrectly.
  • Symbols western chamber of Lle a Rhemen should now properly light up when expected.
  • Fixed redundant horn audio playing after the battle of Yenwood.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to open locked containers could play multiple voice lines at once.
  • Fixed a handful of cases where dialogue audio wouldn’t play when certain nodes were re-triggered.
Quests and Dialogue:

• Ready the Cannons side quest should now properly update its objectives.
  • Dialogue from Buried Secrets quest should no longer allow the player to demand their payment more than once.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple barked lines in Gilded Vale could overlap excessively.
  • Fixed an issue where Eder’s bark lines in the Temple of Eothas may end abruptly.
  • Fixed a case where Calisca could trigger the wrong bark line near the camp inside Cilant Lîs.
Combat and Mechanics:

• Earth Blights should no longer sometimes detach from their selection circles when dominated.
  • Scroll of Ray of Fire should now appear correctly and more accurately match the behavior of the Ray of Fire spell.
  • Fixed a case where manually resolving stronghold combat could sometimes yield no rewards.
  • Fixed a case where prone characters might try to move while prone, resulting in sliding behavior.
  • Concelhaut’s Draining Missiles should no longer occasionally show 0.0 damage in the combat log.
  • Weapon Specialization: Peasant should now reliably add its damage to unarmed attacks.
  • Fixed some cases where the Halt spell might confuse enemy AI, causing them to repeatedly interrupt and re-attempt their own actions.
  • Removed errant untargetable Xaurip that could sometimes appear in Dyrford Crossing.
  • Fixed a case where Sleafhota might teleport to an alternate location mid-dialogue before attacking the player.
  • Attacking Osrya directly will now reliably engage with her revenant and skeleton minions.
  • Fixed a case where all survival camping bonuses might appear after spending only a single skill rank on Survival.
User Interface and Interaction:

• Fixed a UI issue where chants could sometimes clip beyond their scrolling frame.
  • Fixed a case where the damage type icon on the character sheet might not position correctly.
  • Fixed some cases where assigning companions to multiple stronghold missions at once might cause UI issues.
  • Quick loading with the crafting or enchanting UI open should no longer result in a permanent black screen.
  • Fixed a typo in the description of Animal Companions.
  • Fixed an issue where highlighting certain parts of a defeated enemy would not allow you to loot them.
  • Doors in some scenes that were difficult to interact with have had their collision revised and should now be more reliable.
  • Fixed a case where the final pressure plate in the Temple of Woedica would not appear.
  • Examining the wall trophy inside of Elm’s Reach should now be possible.
  • Skipping intros when first starting the client should now be more responsive.
That's not a small list.

Sometimes, I had the impression Obsidian was slowly patching their games and only released an update once they had enough bug fixes, even if that meant waiting for a few months (rather than frequent but small updates). But there must be another reason this time since it's been a few years.

Back
Top Bottom