Fallout London - Interview

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Dualshockers interviewed the creators of the total conversion mod Fallout London:

"I Don't Know How We Managed It:" How Fallout: London Succeeded Where Others Faltered

We speak to the creators of the ambitious Fallout 4 total conversion mod set in London, which is launching soon.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Fallout: London is a grand total conversion project that has been in development for five years and will be released on April 23, 2024.
  • The mod team behind Fallout: London consists mostly of hobbyists, graduates, and casual modders, showcasing the untapped potential of passionate individuals.
  • The mod features a post-apocalyptic version of London with recognizable landmarks and areas, while also incorporating the subcultures of the late 50s and early 60s in the UK.
[...]

"When this first began, it was very grassroots," Project Lead Dean 'Prilladog' Carter tells me. "We refer to our first year as our crayon-eating year. Almost immediately, we had made a world space that was too big for the allowance of what the engine was capable of. We did not know how to fix that and merging everyone's work together, we didn't know how to do that. You don't really know anything and we got to a point, after the first year, where we were like, 'OK, this is a mess,' and then we restarted. From that reset, everything was a lot more serious."

Where the pandemic was the bane of many game studios, contributing to innumerable delays and botched launches (most notably Cyberpunk 2077), for Fallout: London it provided an unlikely boon. "Suddenly we had all these people who weren't allowed to leave the house for two years, so we were able to start including things we wanted in from the start," Dean recalls. "We had 20 of us in chat, every other day. And it was like, 'oh yeah, we need working trains.' And then that was a thing! There were times where we were sleep deprived just because time was irrelevant back then, but we had come up with these amazing things."

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Hope it's good and wish them good luck with their future unannouced original project. As developing your own game is harder then creating a mod for a released game.

I've seen two mod groups try and both ending up failing.

They're also entirely dependent on what the game engine lets them do, without any possibility to change the limitations or remove blocking bugs. It's courageous.

For the occasion, I finally bought FO4 at the end of the Steam's winter sales. I may even play a little of the original, who knows. :)

Really hope they pull it off, the attention to detail is amazing.

It might be a bit weird running around the district I was born. :D

Not quite what I remember, but then I haven't been there in a lot of years. 😱

1704832705249.png

I'm also looking forward to this and STALKER 2 this year! Those 2 are my most wanted games 2024.

Back
Top Bottom